View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Growing Good Principals 

I just read this article and agree that sometimes in order to get things taken care of especially when it comes down to too many Chiefs and not ennough Indians you gotta buck the system. Go against the grain. I do it just about everyday. Somethings we do wastes time etc. We need more principals who are strong leaders not managers. I would fall out if my principal asked me what I thought about some things that go on in that school let alone listen to what I had to say. I like to know where I stand with people especially a boss-at my school, huh-if you don't go with the flow like a puppy on a leash you are just about ostracized (that might be too harsh but........) We have double standards in my school too. so lets grow us a good principal who will stand up and take the bull by the horns(pushy parents, pushy teachers,etc.)

Tue May 23, 2006 10:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Has you school asked you to complete a survey recently called the More Effective Schools Staff Survey? Parents, teachers, assistants and students were each given surveys to complete. Teachers were given a form with about 110 questions to answer about our school. Many of the questions were related to the effectiveness of the principal. ( Is the principal a strong instructional leader of the school? Is the principal highly visible during the school day?) I was a little afraid to answer honestly, especially after I found out that the secretary (who we turn them in to) was reading them and then informing the principal if someone answered negatively towards her. I am still carrying my form around. How accurate are the results going to be if the faculty is fearful of telling it like it is? A school needs a reliable, trustworthy, effective, knowledgable leader if it intends on being effective itself.

Wed May 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Amy, I did the same thing with my parent surveys. I looked at them before I turned them in. I guess that's human nature. I didn't hold it against the students that did have negative things marked, but I try to think about why they their parents said what they said.

A good principal would take the criticism constructively, but in your case I doubt that would happen.

Stella and I are lucky at our school. Our principal is very open to what we have to say, and she always ask our imput on new ideas and keeps us informed on important issues.

Wed May 24, 2006 8:20 pm
All-star
All-star

As many times as I have said that I wouldn;t want to be a principal, the injustices that occur daily at our school make just make me change my mind. It is time for our school, as Ann said, to grow a good principal, one with a SPINE would be nice. I am so tired of pushy parents getting their way and mowing over me because of lack of support from our principal. I am sick of having to deal with parents myself becuse our administrators are too wimpy to stand up to the constant *@#*%@ing that goes on by the parents. And using a quote from Groce's class tonight, it
's typically the "redneck," uneducated ones who do all the gripeing, as if they know it all! I have found too, that being a teacher in the classroom, too, it helps to "buck the system" on occasion to give notice that you are not backing down and you have a firm rationale for your stance. THis year I have done just that. I have let my feelings be made known and in respinse, I feel that I am much more highly regarded by our "principal." WMES girls, when is the last time you saw her in the halls checking in on us and our students? TO all girls, how often do you principal check in? Do your principals include you in the decision making of your school?

Thu May 25, 2006 9:44 pm
All-star
All-star

That last entry was from me - Amy Price. For some reason, it did not recognize me. My computer shut down and came back up while I was typing. Maybe I needed to log back in before I sent it. Sorry.

Sat May 27, 2006 8:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that it is an incredibly difficult job to be a principal. However, I do think there are issues that could be handled differently (and better) at our school, even though I like our principal very much as a person. I just feel as though the principal at our school just bows down to the every want of every parent and will not stand up for the teachers. It is difficult to enforce rules in the classroom with your students when you're unsure if you are going to be supported by the administration.

Mon May 29, 2006 7:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I liked what Guzman said in Willing To Buck the System. She knows that class time is sacred and cuts down on distractions, she expresses how talking about lesson plans is as important as writing them, and she thinks it is important for teachers to have a passion for doing what is right for children.(Even if we have to bend the rules.)

Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Ann, I think if we did grow a good principal, he would be ostracized too, by his superiors. I've seen it happen. A really good principal who used common sense and practicality, and sometimes disregarded foolish protocol was let go of his position on a technicality. They were looking for something to get rid of him, because he was too radical for them. He rocked the boat too much.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Again, I forgot to log in. I'm definitely having a bad day!!! My apologies!!

Nicole Atkins

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's so hard to be so conformed. I could never be a principal. Too much going on for them. I am a bit of a radical I guess. I think a lot about the kids who in an artical we read had to be judged on how they walk in line, a certain distance apart etc and all the militaristic ways they have to respond. Our school just got a new program where the kids have to respond by scripted methods. The research has shown much that is positive about this kind of program, but I worry about children who don't learn in authentic real ways. What do these kinds of programs really prepare them for in the real world? If it really does prepare them in some significant way, I can understand using them. If not, why bore the kids with these scripted methods? Like the teacher said in the article, "I could teach this to my dog." Do we want to empower children or treat them like they have little potential?

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just got a chance to read this and I'm wondering how I could email this to my principal without revealing my identity.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Elaine I just read your comment and laughed out loud! You better give all of us a heads up girl before you go emailing because if one principal sees it- all do. Isn't that sad that we should have to worry about the confidence we place in our superiors? Is it like that in other places girls? I honestly feel like our principals here in this county probably discuss specific teachers and their 'goings on' at principal meetings (both officially and unofficially) in the county. I have seen it happen myself with teachers hoping to get jobs at different schools. Talk amongst principals sometimes causes great bias as to who gets the job and when. I will admit that earlier this year I took up for McD. county when a friend of mine spoke of Madison county and the politics that "dictated" job situations there. I said that I just didn't feel that we were that way. Well let me tell you that my opinion has just recently changed. I have already proven ... ahem... that it is easier to get a job in Buncombe county (one of the most competitive systems in the state) than to get hired at some elementary schools in this county! Explain that one to me? :roll:
You know I may have to teach Kindergarten forever because it doesn't seem that anyone wants to let me out of Kindergarten to get the experience for another job! Enough fussing.... sorry I just had to tell Elaine that I laughed!

Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am just like you Jen, I've seen the light. I was very nieve (spelling?) about many things. Live and Learn.

Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]