View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What is education? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

American sociologist Albion Small defined education as "the completion of the individual and adaptation of the individual to such cooperation with the society in which his lot is cast that he works at his best with society in perfecting his own type".

This goes along with what we were discussing in class earlier today about the difference in education and schooling. I think someone said this in class and I agreed with them, but to me education is being committed and wanting to learn. I think that schooling is the institution and the environment that your schooling takes place in. With this same topic I think we can go back to the issue of freedom. You compromise your freedom to be involved in schooling, but at the same time you chose whether or not you will form an education out of it or not. To me education is more than just being in school because you chose just how much education you want. Obviously the more education you have the better because you are better adapted for society. What does everyone else think about this?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definitley agree with Katy in that schooling i feel is limited where education is limitless. And with education comes so many benefits including adaptation and awareness of environment. I was reading for Thursday and came across what i think is a very valid and crucial statement that goes along with this concept. In the Public School Reform article, the author is discussing what an education is and what it should be and what it can be.

"It means an education that teaches us, above all else, to care about the fate of human beings and of the earth itself-a concern for unnnecesary poverty and violence, for racism and prejudice, for the destructive and wasteful uses of our material resources, and for the inviolable sanctity of life."

This is a crazy concept of education in today's schools and hardly something that can be read about or taught; yet is something that is vital to be learned. It is an education. The idea of this being an "education" shows the differnece and possibilites between that and schooling. Education to me is the growth not only in knowledge but in understanding and as a person. Schooling can be taught but education must be learned. I do agree that they are very intertwined yet they are quite distinct also.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the last posts that you can continue to aquire education, even after your schooling is done. I also really liked what Torrey said when she said that school can be taught but education must be learned. That kind of makes me think of something Dr. Turner asked at the end of class. I'm not sure of the exact question but it was something like why does a school teach something like calculus, but not how to change a tire. The first thing i thought when she said this was maybe schools focus more on teaching things that people are less likely to learn on their own. I think a lot of a person's education comes from experiences they have and situations they are forced into. I'm not saying schooling doesn't add to education, but an individual determines how much education they get out of their schooling.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I hear of the word education, the first defination that comes to my mind is acquiring knowledge and skills to succeed in life. There is no limit to how much education you can have. Your education and knowledge grows each year. I really liked what Meghan said about how your education comes from experiences that you have encountered. The saying goes "you always learn from your mistakes". You learn about changing a tire on your own because one day it will happen to you and you will not have a choice but to learn it. With math, science, reading, and history....who cares? We always say "when are we going to actually need to know this material?" This is when I believe schooling comes into the picture. Schooling to me means being taught instruction and techniques in a school setting. It means sitting at a desk in a chair being taught by someone who has more education than you.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that education and schooling are different things. Education is something everyone will continue after school. Education to me is not only learning about subjects but how to live life. On the other hand schooling is more about test taking and becoming adapted to taking in and retaining subject matter that is relevant to the class that youre in. I think that they are two different things.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]