View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Business = Education?? hmmm 
All-star
All-star

So in the reading about Public School Reform it says, "We have entered an era where, to an unparalleled degree, the language and thinking of business shape the thinking and vision of education." This quote from this reading has really hit the nail on the head for me. I remember when I was in elementary school school was a lot of fun. Yes, we still had requirements and testing but we had FUN! There wasnt this constant push and strain of meeting deadlines and we never had to worry about MONEY. Now it seems like we truly are leading the lives of businessmen. School is work. It isnt for the purpose of just getting an education and learning something new and exciting anymore..anyone agree with me? or disagree for that matter?

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Courtney.. when I read the part where they related teaching to being in the business world I was kind of surprised at the parallels they showed, but after thinking about it, I agreed with what they said. Like Julie said in her post, the classroom is becoming a place where we have to teach to a test and do everything like someone else wants it to be done. The teacher does not have any freedom to teach what he or she wants to, but rather has to what they are told, much like people in the business world who have to do their job the exact way they are told to.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:49 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that education has a lot more pressure to work toward expected goals. I was a teacher assistant for the past two years in a first grade classroom, and the amount of curriculum is overwhelming sometimes. You try to make things fun, but there is a deadline, an assessment, and whatever is not on that assessment doesn't matter it seems. I watched my teacher have her classroom skills down to an art, but it was almost in military style. The amount of information was vast. The time was short, and the requirements were restricting. There were times when I thought, can we just learn something for the fun and exploration of learning it?

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's very true that education is starting to parallel business more and more. I think we have to find ways to step from this norm and still meet the requirements. I think as teachers, we can find creative ways to teach children what they need to know and still have fun doing it. We should never let education get to the point of a regimented, boring place to be. It should be a fun, warming atmosphere where children can take away lifelong lessons! It sounds quite like a fairytale, but i think it's very possible!!!

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]