View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 what about uniforms in public schools? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

as we've been talking about social class and wondering how it will effect the students in our class, uniforms came to my mind. what do you guys feel about uniforms in the public school systems? i can see, on one hand, how it limits people's bias based on abercrombie or walmart. but i also tend to agree with letting kids express themselves, and that can be through clothes at an early age. what do you guys think?

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Thats a good topic for debate. I can really see both sides. In one way, uniforms can be great because children can't make fun of one another based on where they bought there clothes. For instance some kinds cannot afford Abercrombie and because of that they are often teased. On the other hand, I feel the same way about freedom of expression. Children should be able to wear clothing that really shows their style and things they like! Since we are a country based on our freedoms I feel like freedom of choice clothing should be available to students

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is definitely an interesting topic where, I'm sure, lots of people have varying opinions. While I understand the arguement for uniforms in the public schools as far as eliminating the dilemma with what kids wear and dress codes and such, I still find myself not really thinking that public schools should have them. I don't know, to me it just seems that instituting uniforms in the public schools makes them more like private schools, and they are not the same thing. I don't know if that makes sense, I am having a hard time putting it into words exactly, but I don't think they should put uniforms in public schools.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that wearing uniforms in the school system can be good and bad. In relation to our discussion in class, having everyone wear the same clothing covers up someone’s class status. Basically everyone is seen as the same where before when a student wore something from Abercrombie they were considered to be well off as opposed to a kid who wore a shirt from Wal-mart or Roses. This way students who do not wear expensive clothing would not be made fun of. However, I feel like making students wear uniforms is almost like they are in prison. Also, like Courtney said students should be able to wear what clothing they want because for some clothing is an expression of their feelings and themselves.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like everyone else, I am also unsure on where I stand with the uniform issue. I can think of many benefits to having them, yet if put myself in those kids shoes, I wouldn't want to have had to wear uniforms.

On the other hand, if I knew it would help kids that couldnt afford the best clothes to have more confidence in school, then I am ALL for it. I definitley see clothing as one of the first things you look at when you make a judgement about what "class" someone is in.

But then again, where is the individuality in uniforms?!?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a hard time as well deciding whether or not uniforms should be implemented in public schools. I do know that the school I tutored in at home had a uniform policy, and it did help control behavior very well. On the other hand, I do think children should express their individuality to a certain point, and a great way to do that is through clothing. The dress codes in school continue to get more strict each year, limiting what students can wear. I think it becomes more necessary as the years go by, but it makes you wonder how long it will be before all schools will have uniforms???

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Uniforms really are a tricky issue. One that is so easy to talk about, but hard to actually decide about until you've been in the position where you've actually had to wear them. It makes sense that uniforms be implemented not only on the "equality" level, but also on the dress code level. Let's face it, there are some extremely risque` outfits available to kids to wear to school...we have all seen it!

One of my brothers just finished middle school, and the year he started our school system put uniforms in all the middle schools. Being the fashionista (or "fashionisto") that he is, he was definitely not excited. However, I never heard him actually complain about putting on a uniform in the mornings. Trust me, if we'd had to wait on him to pick out his clothes along with making sure his hair was fine and that he looked good enough for all the ladies (he really is a ladies' man, but i love him!!), then we never would have made it on time!! Granted, he will never pick out a light blue shirt for himself now, because that's the color he wore so long, but it really wasn't the problem I thought it would be. I would not want to be forced to wear a uniform to school, but maybe they're not so bad after all.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a great debate question! I can see reasons to wear them and I can see reasons not to wear them.

Wearing them: By requiring students to wear them, you dont have to worry about a dress code. Faculity dont have to worry about young girls wearing low cut shirts or low shorts/skirts. They also dont have the option of wearing shirts with profanity of some sort on them. The students who are not able to afford AE or Abercrombie clothing dont feel uncomfortable or unpopular because of their clothing style. Everyone looks the same.

Not wearing them: Children are able to express their individuality when they get to wear their own choice of clothes. They can either go preppy, tomboy, gothic, etc. Their is no individuality with uniforms. Everyone is the same.

When I was in highschool, we didnt have uniforms but it was discussed with the school board. I was totally against it when I heard it. As a child, I liked to show myself through my clothes. It was never about name brand, but just how "good" you could look. So, I guess Im still the same with the idea of not having them and showing individuality through your clothes.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am like everyone else here. I am not quite sure how I feel about the dress code situation. We encourage students to be unique and not to "blend in with the crowd" and I think that requiring uniforms contradicts this. Allowing students to wear what they want will make them feel more comfortable and yes, they can express themselves. At the same time though, this is where kids will start to have self-esteem problems because they may not be able to afford some of the clothes that the person sitting next to them in class can. Wearing uniforms may avoid this problem, but everyone is right - where is the individuality? I guess I am not exactly sure how I feel on this. However, I myself, would probably not be too happy with wearing a uniform to school.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:04 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my opinion I am not really for school uniforms. If you ask high school students who have uniforms they will tell you they dont like them, and if you ask students who dont have uniforms if they would like them they generally say no. To me I would want my students to be as happy and as comfortable as poissible in a school environment and forcing them to wear uniforms is not the way to achieve this. If a school were to adopt uniforms there should definitely have at least one or maybe two casual days a week where they can wear what they want. I would have to some proof that uniforms help in the learning process before I would throw my support behind them.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone that this is a hard topic to discuss, because there's really no right answer. I think uniforms may be a good idea for younger grades, because at that age kids are so self conscious, and impressionable. If they had uniforms it would take of some of that pressure. However, I also agree with the idea that it takes away that creative freedom that is so important for children to explore. At the upper levels I don't think there should be uniforms. Just because I believe at that age you are turning into the person that you want to be. I think it's important to be able to express who you are as a young adult to make it easier to transition into college life. I know for me personally, I feel like I was able to be more like myself when I got to college. Due to this I feel like I can wear more of what I like and not worry about if someone else thinks it's "cool". But that's just me. If I wanted to go the other direction in regards to high school, I could say that it causes more seperations. It can lead to "clicks" which can lead to kids feeling left out, and eventually a general dislike of opposing groups. Who's to say what's right or wrong in this situation.
p.s. I would like to know some statistics about violence in schools that wear uniforms...

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

School Uniforms & Dress Codes -

Most schools with uniforms and other school-safety policies, report dramatic improvements in discipline, fewer suspensions, and increased achievements. Parents as well as students feel that they will be a less vulnerable to be attack with violence, and peer pressure. However, the schools should not depend on uniforms alone to improve behavior. As a student who had uniforms implemented in school, I believe that uniforms fostered a positive learning environment. My classmates were very proud of themselves in uniforms and had better attitudes about school. The success of uniforms in schools had reported improvements. These improvements show that attendances are up, suspensions are down, children are more focused on schoolwork, fights are less frequent, and test scores are going up. Although, school uniforms are not for every school. Some schools do not believe that their school need uniforms, but believe that a strong dress code is important. Uniforms can violate students' rights to free expression (the students’ will all look alike). A public school teacher once said, "We must keep it in perspective and know that what's on the inside is what makes a difference with kids, not the outside."

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Melissa. I was not required to wear a uniform in school, but I can see the value of having that in a school system public or private. Uniforms allow kids to look past outerwear and view a person. I feel there are lots of good reasons.
1. You don't have to worry about what you are going to wear tomorrow.
2. You are not so fast to label other students by their design labels, or style of clothing.
3. Kids still have a choice to express themselves in the form of accessories, hair and most importantly THEIR CHARACTER
4. Cost in clothing is down for all families
5. There is enough of whites and colors for wash loads to be equal
6. Kids can focus on other things during school other than if their outfit looks okay
7. Girls are not easily allowed to use their clothing as an invitation to guys

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The more i think about this the more i think that uniforms would be beneficial. My mother wore uniforms from K-12 grade. She said that she had plenty of opportunities to wear clothes she wanted to outside school and usually, they had "dress how you want" days about twice a month. Just like Melissa and Jennifer said, the pros WAY outweigh the cons with uniforms. I don't think that public school systems,at least where i'm from, will ever make the switch, but i see tons of bright lights when i think about uniforms. If people have a problem with not being able to express themselves, accesorize... they'll learn that with age.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:20 pm
All-star
All-star

Ditto to Melissa and Jessica on statistics. If studies demonstrate that schools with uniform or strict dress codes perform better, then I favor uniforms.

My nephew started wearing his first uniform this year (in the Beaufort County school system). He hates it and my sister gripped about the stores marking up prices on clothes that match the dress code, but she did not complain to the school board so it sounds like she passively agrees. I think most parents are in a similar boat: they understand that the codes infringe on their kids' freedom of expression, but at what cost? It sounds like the benefits outweight the drawbacks, or parents, like my sister, are willing to see if it helps.

Philosophically, this debate goes back to defining education versus schooling, so I need a clearer mission statement for a teacher to weigh in on this issue.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just wanted to say that the middle school were I live voted whether or not to implement the rule of having uniforms in the public middle school, which passed. Even though some students might find it uncomfortable or annoying I think that it has great benefits because everyone seems to be more alike on when it comes to dressing. Then I thought however, I dont think they are going to stop classifying kids just because they all dress the same. I think they will look at things like their book bag brands, cars their parents drive, shoes, etc. So on the outside looking in I think it is a good idea, however I dont think it is as effective as planned.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:22 am
All-star
All-star

I don't know where I stand on uniforms, for reasons that you all have discussed. I've never had to wear one... but we did have a dress code that told us how long skirts/shorts had to be, how wide straps on shirts were (everyone was excited about getting to wear spaghetti straps once you got to high school), hats, etc.

They never specified gender, though.

So, one day three guys showed up dressed in skirts and dresses. They were asked to leave school. Next thing, they were back with their parents, all protesting this action. If I remember correctly, the school allowed them to return to school, and now it's okay for guys to wear skirts and dresses.

What if a boy at a school where uniforms are required wants to wear a skirt? If it's specified that boys have to wear pants and girls have to wear skirts, which is the policy at a school that was near mine, is that sort of gender identification okay?

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:55 pm
All-star
All-star

If it's specified that boys have to wear pants and girls have to wear skirts, which is the policy at a school that was near mine, is that sort of gender identification okay?

I would only support uniform dress codes, quite literally. The code could not discriminate based on gender, race, class, etc.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]