View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Do you worry about violence in your future teaching career? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is something that's been weighing on my mind a lot over the past few months, especially in light of the recent school violence. I think it's something that causes me to stop at least for a moment, and consider what I'd do in a violent situation. I think it's horrific how high schools today are targets for violence. Whether it's a student from the school, or now even recently a stranger coming on campus. I'm just curious, am I the only one who thinks about this or sometimes worries over it? Im just curious to see how the rest of the class feels about this.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

And just after I posted this, there was breaking news of a stranger going into an Amish school in Pennsylvania and killed young girls execution style. It's just awful. :(

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do worry about violence in the schools. However, I think somewhere in the back of mind knowing that I am going to teach in an elementary, rural school out of the city eases my mind. I'm curious to know what precautions we will have to take in the classroom to prevent violence in the schools when we become teachers.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also worry about this, and it seems that no matter where you are you can't feel completely safe. Violence can occur just as easily in a rural school as it can in a city. It almost seems like more tragic and severe things happen out of the city becuase these schools don't have as many precautions and are not expecting or prepared for anything to happen. It would be nice to have a plan or some idea of what I would do in a sitauion like this...but I really have no idea how i would react...

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't worry about it. A plane could fall out of the sky but I couldn't stop it, so I worry about things I can prevent. Having said that, being an observant teacher and noticing peculiarities could raise some red flags but teachers and parents in documentaries about school violence are often totally surprised by the tragedy.

Meghan makes a good point: urban schools get a bad wrap. Dangerous Minds and similar movies that stereotype violent, city students don't help. I see more guns out in the country than I do in the city. Several guns are locked in racsk or simply hung on display (unlocked) in many southern homes out in the country whereas I notice more knives -- although big and sharp -- are on display in city homes. The gun differential is especially alarming because of per capita logic (ie. one would expect that high quantities of guns among a low population to correlate to even higher quantities in dense populations, but I notice the opposite).

I guess the close range of a weapon like the knife makes me feel more in control than trying to dodge a distant gun.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

honestly, i don't worry about it either. i mean, we are all going to go sometime some way. i want to teach in inner-cities. i want to be surrounded by the culture and people of inner-city lifestyles. and i want to be a teacher that those schools deserve to have, but lack. there aren't enough dedicated teachers in inner-cities because people are too afraid to go. i'm really excited to get out of these classes and to get in my own classroom.

and it is a sad thing. the school shootings. the violence. and if i ever come across the Amish dude or the other Colorado dude, i might punch them in the face! they took the easy road out, and it's just sad...

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:24 pm
All-star
All-star

[i]"Why would you want to teach in Charlotte-Mecklenburg county? I’ve heard those schools are so rough…â€

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes I would have to agree that I am very concerned about the recent increase in school violence. I plan on getting my masters in high school guidance counseling and therefore will come into contact with a lot of students and their emotional problems. I know I will encounter situations where I can maybe prevent a violent act against another student by recognizing certain signs. When it comes to outside intruders however, I am very concerned and dont really know how much good a resource officer might be at protecting a whole school against such violent acts. I dont know how you could of prevented the Amish School incident and I am really at a loss of words when it comes to this certain inccident.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

First I would like to say to Jennifer Clark, that you are not crazy. I think your determination to serve the students first is noble and will be very rewarding for those students that you teach that will be touched and changed. As to violence, I don't worry about it too much. Things happen in this world that change it. People make choices that have consequences and you just have to make sure that you are cautious yet carefree, careful yet daring, and dertermined to try your best as a human being. Is it scary to think about violence being brought into the school? Yes. Are there steps we can to reduce the possibility? Maybe not. We can train our teachers in emergency situations with red and green code system and drills for our school. We can monitor our students and be aware of their homelife and a change in mood. We can also be aware of the outside surroundings of school. But can we really resist and be fully ready? No. That is just part of life.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have varied thoughts about this. I am from a very small town where there honestly isnt a lot of violence, just drugs. But most places where school shootings and violence occur unexpectly always say "I never thought that it would happen here". I mean, no one will never know when or where something like that is going to happen. It does scare me, however, that it might one day happen. But - what are the odds of it happening in an elementary school. It just isnt as likely as if it would happen in a high school setting. I

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do think that it can happen in an rural elementary school. The way I see it, you're in contact with a small amount of people for 13 years, and during that time of course there are going to be people you don't like. I small fight can turn into something very dangerous if no one is around to stop it. I also feel like a lot of people think about 8 yr. olds when they think of elementary school, but I think it's important to remember that elementary students are in their teens too. If something traumatic happens to them they could just as easily loose it as a student a year older than them. I have thought about this subject before, and the best way that I can think to prevent it would be to be open as a teacher. Make sure that your students know that they can turn to you for help and guidance. Maybe that way they wouldn't have to take their anger out in other ways. A lot of the problems that students have can be worked out if they will open up to someone. That's the hardest part. I feel an obligation as a future teacher to make sure that my students are safe and happy, and I would hate to forget that and ignore a student one day when they need me the most.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think all of the violence in schools posted on the news right now is disturbing, and sometimes it does put a worrying question in my mind. But, overall I don't really worry about the violence and teaching. Things happen in our lives that are out of our control. All I can do is encourage a positive leaning environment for my students and teach them the difference between right and wrong. Though disturbing, I don't worry about it too much, maybe I should!??

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

New Teacher’s Fear -

Today's society and schools are very different than they were a few years ago. The compositions of the schools are different than in the past with out considering race, ethnicity, and social economic status, but of cruelty and violence within the schools. These changes have brought fears and anxiety to beginning teachers. It is the thing that is most likely to drive a new teacher from the classroom. The issue is lack of discipline. Maintaining control of a class has never been easy, but many educators worry that the job is getting harder as children come to school more emotional, and less parental supervision. New teachers worry that they may not be adequately prepared to meet the needs of students. Other problems creating fears such as school violence and discipline have been made worse by the media, while fears such as talking to parents, doing lesson plans, or an assignment to an undesired level can be traumatic.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]