View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 SAT 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post SAT
After reading todays articles that were assigned about the SAT, I just wanted to express how I feel about the test in general. I am sure that I am not the only one out there, but I do not test well. Therefore when I was getting ready to apply for college, I felt enormuous amounts of anxiety when taking the SAT. I took SAT prep classes, studied the book, and did review sessions in the summer. During the first time I took the test, a group of my friends all went to the same testing center together and afterwards we were discussing how we thought we did...when one of the girls said that their adminstrator did not even follow the rules. She let the goup through each section of the book and take however long they needed, she just gave them an overall time of when to be finished. It shocked me to realize that it was possible for this to be done, but that we are graded on the same level...but how could this be a standard test to judge performance? Even though this might not have improved the test scores of the test takers in the group, it was still unfair to the rest of the SAT takers across America.However, I still was anxious about the test because I knew that it wouldnt reflect the student that I am. And, just as I expected I did not do so hot. I took two more times and finally got a decent score even though I still was not proud of it. I know that I am not the only one who hated the SAT and it just amazed me to know that it was possible to a person proctoring the test could have such an affect...whether it is negative or postive.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

WOW. that is crazy. I can not believe that. I think that timed testing is stupid. Just like Ashley said is creates to much anxiety for the students and in turn makes them they not do as well as they possibly could have. I also hate the SAT and do not test well. But, what I made on the test never really phased me. I do not know why because I have always been the student that got her work done first and I made A's and B's in high school. I did not do well at all on the SAT but I got into my first choice college and only took the SAT twice. I think it is a shame that we are putting so much emphasis on the test, because to me it really does not measure what you need to know for real life.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both Ashley and Kirstin. I hated the SAT, not only because I did not do well, but because I was so nervous when I took it. I felt this great pressure because deep down I knew this test had a lot to do with where I would be attending college. Some schools won't even consider you if you do not have a high SAT score, even if you have made good grades through high school and were involved in a lot of clubs and sports. I also think there is too much emphasis on one test to determine someone's future. I do not think that having a high or low SAT score has anything to do with how smart you are.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, I agree with everyone on the SAT. I hated it and took it twice because the first time I didn’t have a clue what was going on and the second I had a good enough score to get into App so I was satisfied. I don't really think it's a fair measure of someone's potential. Someone could excel in their school work and classes but bomb the SAT. I know I pretty much made only A’s in high school, but I didn't do great on the SAT. I don't really think it should be a deciding factor in getting into college.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:58 pm
All-star
All-star

at my high school, at least among the students in the "upper" level classes, SAT scores were pretty important, and people talked about them all the time. (My high school was ridiculous, by the way. Grads who went to Harvard said that high school was harder than college.) A 1300 was considered a pretty low score. Every year, there were one or two that got perfect scores... Most of my friends had higher scores than I did, and it made me feel terrible, even though mine wasn't bad at all.

I was SO RELIEVED when I got here and people didn't care about that anymore! There are so many people who are as intelligent or more intelligent than I am who got lower SAT scores, and that's FINE. I think it's stupid that so many colleges base admission on standardized test scores that are often poor indicators of a student's actual capabilities.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]