View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Males and Violence 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just watched a video in my learner diversity class that was talking about the violence of males and how they are protrayed through the media....and one thing that was mentioned on the video was the school shootings that have happened in the past which were done out of revenge.

The video, Tough Guise, expressed that men are pushed through the media to be emotionless and physical still and has increased since the 60/70 in reaction to being threathened by social movements during this time...

I just wanted to know if anyone else had any thought about males being portrayed as physcial and violent through the media and its effects...such as school shootings, sex crimes, or other violent crimes.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that it depends on how you were raised. For me it doenst matter what I see on TV or what kind of video games I play I will never be a violent person. My parents taught me right from wrong. I do believe though if children are not taught right from wrong then they might take media and video games the wrong way. They may let it get to them. When it comes to violence I have always heard that males are more violent then women so I guess media and video games would effect males more then women.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:39 pm
All-star
All-star

The most recent studies I read that hypothesized a general relationship between violent behavior and violent media failed. There was no correlation between all kids getting angrier and viewing all-violent television. In one study, however, kids who already had violent tendencies, like being easily provoked to anger, did get angrier after watching violent television shows. Normally assertive and passive kids, however, did not get angrier. I cannot recall if any study found a behavioral difference due to sex.

I realize that popularized studies overlook this minor detail and perhaps there are newer studies that may have acceptable correlations but it seems like this study makes important difference that one would notice only by reading the experimentors' published article or by asking a developmental psychologist. I recommend Dr. Kidder-Ashley over in Smith-Wright.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that kids and adults see many generalization through the media and even though studies have show no correlation between seeing violence and acting violent, it is important to emphasize media literacy and the difference between reality and fiction. In Literacy the other day we talked about September 11th and how younger children thought that it was a movie. I agree with Kelly because you're going to be the way you are regardless of what you see on T.V. when you get older but the younger children first need to realize what they see on T.V. is not always a good portrayal of reality. Another thing I wanted to bring up talking about media and the effects on children would have to be this show called Hobo Wars.... I think that's what it is called but Janelle told me about this and I was taken aback because kids would imitate what this guys was doing to homeless people on the street. On Hobo Wars.... this guy goes out and gets homeless people to fight by giving them money or alcohol and then they go at it. And some teenagers thought that this looked fun and beat a guy with a two by four, which had a nail in it and killed a man. They did it because it looked fun. So if media doesn't effect our youth then what does? I think this is a perfect example of how much we see and disregard on T.V. may totally have a different effect on others.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think it would naive to say that TV doesn't affect the way that children act... because it does. the video that traci is talking about is called "bumfights" and that is a perfect example of the power of the tv. these kids saw the video, and decided to make their own "bumfights" series. 2 different sets of kids killed someone. they KILLED them. they beat them to death. and when the video started they said "hahahaha... BUMFIGHTS!" i have a hard time believing they came up with this themselves. now, obviously, everyone who has seen that movie hasnt gone and killed someone, but i just feel like it would be a complete lie to say this movie hasnt changed the way people regard homeless people. the statistic now is that in every major city, at least 1 homeless person is murdered a month.. and no one reports it...

Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:29 am
All-star
All-star

ok, i don't know how accurate this is, because the person who told me is not an extremely reliable source, but I found it interesting: She said that she had seen an interview of a student involved in a school shooting. At one point the kid tearfully said that it didn't occur to him that "the people wouldn't get back up" after he shot them. He had spent so much time playing video games, in which the targets don't usually die, at least not after being shot once, that he had a distorted sense of reality. That's a little creepy.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think what Lilly said is something that needs to be taken into consideration. But with some question. If the male child was young, he maybe could believe something like that, but if he was older (unless he had some mental disabilites) that is not an excuse. I think that men are taught to be tough and mean and that women are to me the sentimental ones that show emotions all the time. I do not agree with this but I think this is what society is teaching the male population today!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lilly's post is something we need to consider...but i agree with Kirstin that this is no excuse. Besides extreme cases, I believe kids understand the difference between real life & a video game. But honestly--whats the point in so many kids in todays world "killing" people for hours on end on these violent video games. Even if there is no evidence that they increase violence--whats the point??

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]