View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 differences that matter 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So we watched a video today that showed a scene where the question of whether race and class are differences that matter. My opinion? Yes they matter; race and class are still two very weighted variables in America.

I am taking a Social Problems in American Society class this semester, and the basis of our class is built on the weightiness of these two variables. Racially/ethically speaking, the occupations of African Americans and Latinos in America are much more likely to be low-skilled and much less likely to be "professional" occupations. This also means less likely to provide healthcare benefits and adequate pay. My sociology book also states that the institutions in American government and society are built on racial inequality and discrimination. While this may be completely unintentional, it appears to be true. The majority of people in high-power positions are white, upper-class males (does that remind anyone of Groton?!). The structure of our society makes it difficult for any kind of minority to move into a position of power, or even positions of equality.

What do you think?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that if this is the case, it is our job to fix it. And not to fix it so everything is racially equal like 5 jobs go to Hispanics, 5 to African Americans, 5 to Caucasians, etc. I mean, fix it by looking at the soul and mind of that person. Not their skin color. Just because it is statistically an issue in the working world does not mean that it has to stay that way, or we should teach according to our sad stats.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I am very discouraged by our discussion of race and individuality in class. It frustrates me that Delpit's and McIntosh's criticisms of equality and meritocracy have been entirely overlooked! :x

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, Race and Class do matter. This is a topic that I feel like americans have been dealing with since the begining of time and we will probably always have to deal with. As much and I would like to think that we can look past race and class, I think that it is nearly impossible. Race to me is slowly having less importance but class will always be around. To me some of the stereotypes of class are true though. NOT ALL OF THEM!! Dont get me wrong... but take an elementary school classroom for example.. MOST OF THE TIME... the students that are given more attention at home and have more access to say a computer or other techonlogies are the ones that are more successful because they have had more experiences to learn.?? It may not be fair but that is how life is in my opinion

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]