View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Student Teaching 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thsi is kind of unrelated to whats going on in class but it is a topic being talked about about by numerous education majors on campus righ now. As many of you seniors know, recently a decision has been passed down to not allow you to student teach at the school you had your internship at. There has been an uproar among students, teachers, and faculty at high schools in response to this new rule. In my opinion it is vital to establish relationships with teachers and find a teaching style that is similar to or fits yours. Many of us who will student teach in the spring love the teacher they are interning for and want to be their student teacher. Many teachers also want their interns as student teachers. What do you all think of the subject?

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Ryan. I think that is crazy. But, it is werid because I was talking with one of my professor this weekend and she told me that I had a better chance of student teaching in the school that I interned with, if my teacher requested me. I have not heard about this yet so, are you saying that if I interned at Hardin Park they would not let me student teach there?!

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that if you find a school and teacher that you click well with then it would be a great oppurtunity to be able to student teach with them. I think that this is often what makes or breaks a future teachers expierence and since we are lacking for teachers anyway, why not? I understand that not everyone can get their first choice, but I think you should at least be able to have the option to be placed within the school system and teacher of your choice. :D

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Quote:
I think that this is often what makes or breaks a future teachers expierence and since we are lacking for teachers anyway, why not?
If someone doesn't like student teaching then they might not continue to do it. Some of the teachers that you are student teaching with might not have be very helpful to you! I want a teacher that has lots of experience, and is very helpful to me, and teaches me tons of new things!

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've also heard that you can't student teach where you went to school, even if it is within the distance set by the college of ed., but I know people who have done this. Does anyone know anything about this?

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You can not teach in the high school you went to, elementary and middle schools are fine. However I have heard of exception to the high school rule if there has been a large teacher turnover rate at that school in the last few years.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:23 am
All-star
All-star

There are many restrictions involved in the student teaching decision making process. As a reminder a few of these include...You may not student teach in a school that you have attended, or one in which a relative is an employee, you may not contact schools or cooperating teachers, or attempt to make your own placement, and of course this new rumor about not being able to student teach with your internship teacher. Such confusion! I think ultimately area supervisors should make the final placement, but I find nothing wrong with students making connections with potential techers. That is in fact what I did. I made my own phone calls, asked my own questions, inquired about certain teachers/schools, etc. We ALL want the best possible placement. Filling out a short questionaire which ask our strengths/weakness and what kind of teacher we want to be placed with is not an accurate description of us as pre-contract teachers. It is vital that we find a teacher we work well with and have similar teaching skills in the classroom. I took it upon myself to find out the information I needed and am very hopeful I will receive a good placement because of it.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have an update. Enough people complained to the interim dean including professors, students, and school departments that they reversed the decision and now you are able to student teach at your intern site. Yea!

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:02 pm
All-star
All-star

I understand the concern with student teaching. If you really liked your internship you want to be where you are comfortable. However, being placed somewhere else is not a bad idea. You never know the possibilities that await you if you have an open mind to new things and change. Also, isn't it beneficial to ourselves as future teachers to get as much diversity and experience as possible? Being in our comfort zone is great, but allowing ourselves outside to new experiences helps us grow and learn toward a better person and teacher. Think of our experiences as resources that we can use. We want all possibilities to have as much information and different views as we can.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:59 am
All-star
All-star

My opinion sounds like Jennifer's. There are many factors and I value broading my perspective so I would prefer to student teach under somoeone other than my intern teacher, and will probably prefer to teach at a different school. I'm more concerned with teacher experience and competency, such as long-time master teachers.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]