View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Charter Schools 
All-star
All-star

Melissa's post about private schools and Lillian's on homeschooling made me wonder about charter schools. I hear charter schools are independent but what exactly are they? and how are they funded? Does anyone know someone who went to a charter school? Just curious ...

... especially because Raleigh Charter High School is ranked 9th in the nation by Newsweek (although there are many unexplained assumptions behind Newsweek's ranking system).

Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Charter schools are basically public schools that go about teaching differently than a regular public school. (They have more "freedom" to experiment with teaching styles.)From my experiences visiting charter schools they usually are very affective and the parents really like them. Here's the website if you want to know more about it: http://www.uscharterschools.org/

I was actually wondering if anyone out there knew about montessori schools? My uncle owns one and he's always talking about how amazing they are, I'd like to know what other people think of them. I've actually never been to one, so if you know of one in N.C. I'd like to know about that too.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Charter Schools -

A charter school is a new form of public school that may be started and operated by individuals or organizations from outside of the traditional school district system. Charter schools are generally excused from most laws that apply to regular public schools, so administrators, faculty, staff and parents have considerable independence in designing an educational program, facilities and budget that meet the needs of their students. In exchange for this increased independence, charter schools are held much more strictly accountable than most non-charter public schools. Charter schools must meet all of the student performance and operational goals listed in their charter, or their charter may be revoked. Charter schools are also publicly funded elementary or secondary schools that have some freedom from rules, regulations, and statutes that apply to other public schools.

Last edited by Melissa Venant on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Montessori’s Schools -

My siblings attended a Montessori School when they were preschoolers. Children at Montessori are encouraged to explore, investigate and fulfill their natural curiosities. They are careful guided by teachers. Teachers are called directresses and directors. The children develop at their own pace and learn that school can be an unending adventure of discoveries. Each certified Montessori teacher should have earned a teaching certificate and completed hundreds of hours of specialized training and instruction in the Montessori method. These teachers provide a nurturing environment and unique materials that will help child explore, investigate, enjoy and prepare for life. When you walk into a Montessori’s classroom, the first thing you will notice is that everyone is busy and interested in what they are doing. For example, one child is counting beads, others are working together on a puzzle map, and in the corner of the room a teacher is introducing a small group of children to a new language activity. Each of the Montessori’s classrooms are designed to provide an environment where children accomplish their natural interest about the world around them.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jessica... there are schools all over nc... there is even one in boone

find one near you:
http://www.montessori-namta.org/namta/d ... olina.html

Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:37 pm
All-star
All-star

They have a nice website. It would be neat to go see it ... :)

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]