View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Textbooks as sheilds 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just read this article and I dont even know how to react. Its crazy and scary that the problem of school shooting is prevelent enough to be a campaign issue. This particular candidate is suggesting making thicker textbooks so students can use them as shields in the event of a school shooting! I'm just curious how you all respond to this article, I'm still
trying to figure out my response!
http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10/20 ... index.html

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

HAHAHA! I couldnt help but laugh when I read that article. Honestly, what child is going to think, "OMG, there's a gunman, let me get a textbook and use it as a shield". A gunman could fire several shots and the child is not going to know where to put the book to use as a shield. Yeah, it might cover their head, but what happens if the gunman shoots them in the chest? And although the article says that it just penetrated the book, that it didnt go through? If a bullet can go through a head and skull, then it can go through a book. I think this idea is ridiculous.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow. I'm not sure I know how to respond to something like this either. maybe our focus should be more on preventing the shooters from entering the school, or maybe even (call me crazy) doing our best not to make students feel the need to enter their school with a gun, although I know that not all of the shooters have been students. It just seems so bizarre to me that we are at the point where someone even needs to consider using a school textbook as a shield and providing them for every student in their district. And this person has gotten the idea from incidences of previous shootings. What is the world coming to that this is such an issue? It's really scary.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There are also law makers who believe that teachers should be trained and carry weapons.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-05-arming-teachers_x.htm

... any opinions on that issue?

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In both of these situations (textbooks as shields and armed teachers) I can;t help but think how I would feel on my first day of school. What would you do if you went to class and saw a teacher standing in front of you with a gun? I'm pretty sure I'd be distracted from what was actually being taught, and a little worried. Also could you imagine getting your textbooks passed out and then being taught how to use them as shields in case of a shooting? It just seems like this is something that would made children afraid to go to school and maybe even encourage more school violence. I agree with Julie, shouldn;t we be focusing on preventing this from happening...not arming the schools and preparing for when these things do happen???

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is sad that it is to the point that this would even be an issue to campaign. I don't really think that the textbooks are going to prevent deaths in a school shooting. You might as well just buy a bullet proof vest for everyone to wear to school. The issue at hand is the people who are doing the shootings... because it does seem as though this world is just getting more dangerous all of the time. As far as teachers carrying weapons, I don't know if I would feel the need for it in an elementary school environment, but who really knows... I mean honestly that is one reason I don't want to teach high school, because there is so much violence. I guess I could see both ways for this one, but I don't know if it would ever really work...

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think both these ideas are very funny..And like Stephanie said, "it is sad that it is to the point that this would even be an issue to campaign." I know people are sketchy but if there is a problem with violence in a school the violence shouldnt make it to the students. If they have had past problems then maybe they need to get metal detectors and security guards from trying to stop the violence from walking through the doors and sitting down in the seats of a classroom. Really a book is going to do nothing for these children. The article about the teachers being able to carry a fire arm I can kind of understand why that might be a good idea...But it still shouldnt get to this point.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The first thing that came to my mind was the idea that this is a horrible message to send to our students. So we want them to live in fear that there's going to be a school shooting at any moment, and they better have those text books or they can't protect theirselves? That's crazy. To me I think using a text book (something that is supposed to be improving their education) in that manner degrades it's quality. Now it's just a sheild, or just a shelf, or a door stop. That's just stupid. As for teachers having weapons. That's just as dangerous. What if an elementary teacher had a weapon in the classroom and they forgot to lock it up? We've all seen the tragic stories of children accidently shooting each other. That's a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:02 pm
All-star
All-star

Yea! change into a bullet-proof uniform when we get to school.

(Stephanie's sarcasm rules :)

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]