View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 How does schooling affect identity in general? 
All-star
All-star

As I was looking at the syllabus I read the questions for our class tomorrow. One that stuck out at me was How does schooling affect identity in general. I feel like schooling is the number one influence for any student's identity. When I was in school, i feel like my identity was shaped by my classmates, my teachers, my friends, my parents, etc. etc. If you werent a certain person at school then you werent "cool" and if you were "cool" you had to WORK HARD to stay that way. I feel like maybe school is affecting identity's in wrong ways. What do you think?

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely feel like school effects peoples indentity. I think that schooling from the beginning plays a huge role in what the rest of a child's life will be like. If a child feels like a failure then often times they will never even think about going to college or pursuing the career of their dreams. They feel like they must settle for what they "can do." I think this is so sad that a test they can't pass, grades they made so many years ago, can effect the way they feel about themselves. Thats why it is our job as future teachers to make sure we do not have this negative impact on any of our students-no matter what it takes.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Where I am from, school definately effects a persons idenitiy and it begins in middle school.

In middle school, if you dont play a sport or are a cheerleader, you are not considered a part of the "incrowd". That "incrowd" will then follow you into high school. If you work hard in your studies and make good grades, take hard classes, etc., you are classified as a nerd. If you play sports and are popular with the boys/girls, then you are the "incrowd". If your family doesnt make a lot of money or you dont have the best of everything, you are a nerd. If you wear baggy clothes, dress gothic, or dress slutty, then you are a druggie.

I know many people who have fit into these categories when they shouldnt have been there. School and wealth is what determines a students idenitity while in school. I definately agree with Anna about how if they feel like a failure, then thats all they know and what they expect of themselves. If they feel like someone who can do it, then they will succeed.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is all so true. It all depends on what sports you play and the background you came from I think. It shouldn't be like this at all, but it defnitely shapes a person's perception of themselves in negative ways. When you are told something constantly or feel a certain way, then eventually you are going to believe the negative things that people put into your head about you, whether they do it directly to you or not. This is really sad, but hopefully we can do something to change this as future teachers.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Katy, although it may not be a good thing, what kids are told and what they participate in at school affect their perception of themselves. I think from this, we should make sure we encourage students to think for themselves and be individuals,and always be careful not to judge students because they will know through your actions how you feel!

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]