View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 my brother in a skirt... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

so i was looking at the syllabus and checking out some of websites for "men in skirts" and just had to smile. my brother got married when i was in middle school and him and his groomsmen wore kilts in the wedding. he does have a small trace of scottish ancestry, but it's normally not a huge part of his life. for some reason, he just wanted to be different though, so this was the avenue he chose. this comes as no surprise to my parents, as he has always wanted to stand out and often put them through the ringer and back for some of his choices. well, i just saw these pictures and thought of my own personal story to share, so i thought i would share... :)

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The picture of men in skirts also triggered a reaction from my past as well, however slightly different than Elyse’s. In high school I had a male friend who liked to wear makeup to school. Usually it was just “normalâ€

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I'd ask for a round-table discussion with my students in that class and gauge the student's response. If most he students thought it was a distraction but the male student felt it was an infrigement on his rights then it would be a tough decision. I find this situation is similar to the school uniform one. For school uniforms, I have not been convinced that it infringes on students' rights, and one of the goals of dress codes is to foster an environment that draws attention to learning. This is one of those fuzzy lines that I mentioned in class.

Justice Sandar Day O'Connor's book The Majesty of the Law convinced me that the Constitutional rights that many advocates cite must be balanced with the public welfare, otherwise our country would be a less stable a democracy. As an extreme example, what of nudists? It's a shocker but a good example of the options available for public schools. A private school could allow nudity but the only way I see public funds supporting a socially "freaky" dress codes is via vouchers to a charter school specifically supporting a nudist community. (There are nudist communities in America that have successfully defended their Constitutional rights). Maybe this kind of dress code sounds exteme to people today but a male student in makeup was exteme for people maybe just a generation ago. I always take situations to their hypothetical extremes because it allows me to see where things could eventually go ...

So I maybe this student would be convinced by his peers and maybe not. I dislike conformity but the other extreme is only thinking about oneself.[/i]

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

elyse, I just want to tell you that your familial anecdotes were thoroughly entertaining and enlightening. :D

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]