View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 A Class Divided 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just curious to see what everyone's reaction to the video we watched on Tuesday is. I watched this video in my CI 2800 class last year and my teacher discussed what a good activity this was for the teacher to do with her 3rd graders. However, we have discussed in other classes how this type of simulation doesn't work. I personally don't know which side I am on; I am kind of in the middle. It seemed as though the people who took part of this acted as though it really changed their perspective on racism; however, it does seem as though it could cause severe psychological and emotional damage to young children or even adults. Also, like we mentioned in class, it doesn't really give the full experience of what someone being discriminated against and mistreated would feel like.

I think this video could also go back to what we have previously discussed in our class about authority figures and the human condition. It is crazy that little children could turn against their best friends just because their teacher was telling them that blue eyes or brown eyes are bad.

What do you think?

Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While it was surprising how the children turned against their best friends so easily during this activity I was even more shocked by the way the adults acted! Children are impressionable and easily believe what an authority figure tells them, but I would have thought it would have been more difficult to change the views of adults. I couldn;t believe how the blue eyed adults were so easily angered by the situation even though they knew that eye color didnt REALLY mean anything. The disrespect they showed and the comments they made were something I would not have expected to happen.

Although this activity might not give a person a complete understadning of what it feels like to be discriminated against i think it does do a really good job of showing how discrimination can have a huge impact on how a person acts and responds in certain situations.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]