View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Watch This-Real Beauty 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This short video definitely ties into what we talked about in class today.
Watch it and let me know what you think! ...its so interesting!

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/ho ... ion_v2.swf

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We watched this clip in my social problems class today! i am so proud of the dove company for taking a stand on this, even though they are a cosmetics company, which is somewhat dependent on society's desire for beauty! it definitely says a lot about them.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Julie, I think it's great that Dove is taking a stand against the stereotypical beauty. Although they are a cosmetics company they still put this out to the public, and I think it says a lot about them. Knowing that there are people out there willing to put something out there to the public like this. I really enjoyed this clip...very interesting!

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that is a great video and a great thing to get out in the public for people to see. It shows how fake these people are and that they not only have people applying layers and layers of make-up and doing a ridiculous amount of work on their hair...they also change the images with a computer!! AFter seeing this it can make you realize you too could look like the models...if you had tons of people working on you and distorting your features with a computer!!!

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this video! I agree with Julie that it is great to see a company like Dove makes a video pertaining to a person’s true beauty. I started thinking about a lot of times we see models or movie stars as having true beauty. We are always wishing we looked like that person or had their beauty, but really if you think about it how many of these models and movie stars are actually showing their natural beauty? I’ll admit that a lot of times I will say I wish I looked like a certain person, but really I should be happy with the way God made me. Actually, you as an average person is more beautiful than a person who is trying to be someone he or she is not. We should always be proud of who we are and never try to be someone we are not. I only wish other companies would make videos like this one, but if they did that I guess they figure they would lose business.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Be yourself. Who else is better qualified. :)

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is an awesome video clip and I agree with Christin that people are more beautiful when they are themselves and do not try and be something they are not. It would be so much easier if everyone would just realize that they are the person that God made them to be. But our society has definitely screwed that up, an example is in this video of how they transform people and change them into a completely different person. I also really like what Dove is doing!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this video and agree with Christin. Just be yourself! God made us the way he wanted us. We dont need computer to change our image to something we really arent. I mean you couldnt even really tell it was the same girl. I wouldnt want a picture of me that didnt look like me. Its great that Dove is doing this!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It wasnt too long ago, right when the idea that people are airbrushed in magazines ws coming out there was an article about it in a female magazine, I just cant remember which one. It had a women in the exact same outfit on a two page spread. The left side taken normally and the right sight she was airbrushed, and it had arrows saying exactly what they did to each body part. Not to mention that it was from head to toe.

It was interesting to see because it was when it first came out and I think that it helped many women of all ages realize what you are looking at is not real in magazines and I think great things (ie DOVE campagings) have come out of it.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:17 pm
All-star
All-star

The woman in the commercial was transformed before our very eyes. The base was constant, but she almost looked like an entirely different person. It is amazing how media takes natural images of beautiful woman and alter them to fit the mold which conforms to the American mind. Arent all women beautiful no matter their shape, size, hair color/length, neck length, nose width, et??? Beauty, to me comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors. This world would be pretty boring if we all looked "made up" all the time!

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The video clip and this converstion has mainly focused on women and the misconception of bueaty in our society. However, I saw a show on TV the other day that says men are now having lots of cosmetic surgery and that many men are as conscience about how they look as women are. In general men have not been held to the same standards as women when it comes to appearance but I think this problem could potentially be bad for men as well.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This video is great because so often we say we know that computers are used and so much time goes into making ads and other forms of media happen, but this shows exactly how things are done. For girls and guys it is important to know that everyone is beautiful and brings different things to the table. Real beauty is you!

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i hate to say the same thing as everyone else on this post, but its so interesting. like all of you, i am so grateful to see dove taking a stand on this weigh 100 pounds and have make-up on all the time crap. really...who does that? this is so awesome because if you look at her from the beginning she looks just like you and me...imperfect skin, i bet she has bad hair days sometimes, and flawed. but in the end she is "perfect" and absolutely gorgeous. and fake. dove has also done some really cool things with other avenues as well. i want to say there is magazine ad that has "real" women in their underwear and not the type of models that you would find in a victorias secret catalog. it's so reaffirming because we are real people that live in an imperfect world and shouldn't feel like we have to strive to maintain this standard alllll the time. sure it's fun to dress up and go out but sometimes its ok to be in sweatpants with a baseball hat on too. sometimes i wish i could have this done to me...like take a regular picture and then a after one with all the airbrushing and effects and stuff because i think it would be shocking. but then again, i am content knowing i am made in image greater than mine and that leaves me with nothing to worry about. :D

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This add is popping up everywhere I have seen it about 4 times for four different things ...it really is a great add and I think that the more people it reaches the better!

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]