View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Boys and eating disorders 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/ ... lePrev.pdf

Just thought I would put that link out for discussion...I think that a lot of times, we tend to forget that men can develop eating disorders, too. I was reading another website that said that 10% people with eating disorders are men, and 20% of men with eating disorders are gay. With so few resources out there for young men with eating disorders, what can we as teachers do? How do we help them?

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think one main responsibility that we have as teachers is to keep an eye out for warning signs. I find it very sad that more attention is not paid to guys with eating disorders. If anyone's noticed, most commercials or ads that you see for eating disorders all contain women. I think this is a good issue to bring up because it's definately a problem. I'm not really sure what the correct answer is for us to do in the classroom setting. I think perhaps to educate our students on eating disorders and make it known that not just girls suffer from them would be the first step. Knowledge is power. If we can at least give the students a little bit of information, it's better than none.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just wanted to say that I think that males have body issues too and I think that it is important to only think females do. I have heard of many stories of guys with weight issues and had a friend who was obssessive about his weight because he was obese and then lost his weight. So it is something to keep in the back of your mind that it is not only females.

Also, another thing to remember is the boys who wrestle. The cut weight to maintain their weightclass throughout the season and struggle with it when they are not a normal weight because of water weight issues. I can remember being in high school and a friend wrestler of mine was chewing bubble gum and spitting (not swallowing) his salvia for that last pound. I have to come to understand how this can be even an option because the bodies of the athletes are so weak, I just think that it is injuries weighting to happen!

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like Ashley brought up the first thing that came to my mind when it was boys and eating disorders I thought about wrestling and other sports that required weight requirements. The wrestling coach also a teacher promoted this crazy behavior. I can not believe it now that i look back on it. My boyfriend in high school wrestled and would run for hours with at least 20 layers of clothes on and would always watch what he ate and drank. It was almost obsessive. I think even if you coach a team you should not promote this type of damaging behavior.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a friend whos brother was bulimic and anorexic I also have a very close male friend who was both. Both of them were trying to lose weight a quick way for different reason; one was wrestling and the other football! The wrestler would get up every morning before school (and practice) and run my neighborhood (which is uphill and around 3 miles). The football player was told that they wanted him to change positions from O-line to Tight end and he needed to lose weight.
I think its ridiculous the pressure they put on these boys. Believe me I know that girls have pressure everyday to be the "perfect size" but I think that boys more than often are not as stable as girls....

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a guy friend who is anorexic and he has been for years. Last time I talked to his mother about the situation, she told me that his doctor had said that if he didnt eat, that he would die within a year. His back has sunk in, he has a hard time walking, he has lost all his hair, etc. He looks horrible and it breaks my heart. Bradley was always a chunky boy growing up, and when he reached high school, people started making fun of him. Ever since then was when it started. He is almost 28 now and he is about to die because of this.

As teachers, we need to realize that this issue goes both ways. All the males the girls drool over are athletic and have killer bodies, just the same as the women are portrayed. It is just an issue that needs to be demolished within society!

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]