View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 interesting and amusing 
All-star
All-star

I was subbing for a daycare class today and just thought this was a fun view on gender in our society. Without direction from me or the other teacher a group of boys set up their own fort. They made a sign and told us the sign said "No Girls Allowed". I just had to smile. I thought it was such a neat thing to witness. Three year old males creating a place separate from the females and protected with barriers and signs. These boys have no older siblings. they were also all dressed in cowboy dress up clothes except one who opted for the purple tutu with a toy gun he made out of play pipes. the whole image and situation was just interesting to watch. Thought I would share.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is one of the cutest stories! I think that goes great with what our class has been talking about. I wish that as we went through the crazy awkward phases in our lives we can have pictures of times when we played around like this where things just didn't matter and you didn't want anything to do with the opposite sex. So often we get caught up in the gender roles of our society and become too entwined to really take a look at it from a different point of view.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Cute story Jennifer - it is amazing how fast young children pick up on the gender roles in our society and make them their own!

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Does anyoe remember....all of those "Girls Rule Boys Drool" type of tshirts? I noticed a girl wearing one the other day when I was at Mountain View and I can remember when I wore the shirts that said girls were just as good as boys in sports in elementary schools...but it just made me think how gender roles are defined even in clothing that children wear!

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Haha, that is such a cute story! It reminds me of when I used to have friends over and we would do the same thing, except the sign would be to my brother to stay out. I also remember the "Girls Rule Boys Drool" - awh, good times from school :) But it does show how out society has defined gender roles, even in young children.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with everyone! Children pick up on gender roles so quickly...I too remember the signs such as these as a child...boys keep out....no boys allowed...etc.!!!

Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree, cute story! i definitely remember those "girls rule" shirts. It really is amazing how quickly things like this start to take place.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is pretty amazing that kids that young can pick up gender roles like that. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing , maybe neither.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]