View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Teaching Manners & Morals! 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Should children learn manners at school from their teachers …OR
Should children learn manner from their parents (before they enter school)?

I feel that teaching children etiquettes at an early age will teach them valuable tools that they will use throughout their lives. By teaching etiquettes to elementary children, they will learn good manners and social skills that are very important to their future success. Also, they will understand the basic rules of good behavior which they are never too young to be taught because they will learn how to be respectful, responsible, capable, considerate, and punctual by learning about manners.

I firmly believe that if all students from kindergarten to high school were taught morals every day (morals, manners, and right conduct), discipline problems could be eliminated, student learning would go up, and teachers would be free to do their best job teaching. However, should school teachers be expected to teach morals and takeout classroom time to teach about etiquettes? I know that some teachers would feel that it is the parents responsibility to teach their children about morals and manners. I know that teachers can not substitute for parents but, many students do not have a healthy life style (homelife), and it seems that many parents (families) in our society look at schools to teach their children responsibilitiy and values.

Now the Questions: (some questions to answer).

Do Manners Matter?

Why teachers and other adults need to discuss and model good manners?

What are some ways school staff members, at all grade levels, can encourage good manners?

What are some of the best ways to teach children about the value of good manners?

Here is a Kindergarten’s Manner Song:

We say, "Thank you."
We say, "Please."
We don't interrupt or tease.
We don't argue. We don't fuss.
We listen when adults talk to us.
We share our toys and take our turn.
Good manners are not too hard to learn.
It's really easy, once you learn.
Good manners means… JUST BEING KIND!

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that mannersand morals probably SHOULD be taught by the parents, but the fact of the matter is, they usually aren't nowadays. Most parents are too busy nowadays. Besides, the time that kids do spend at home is mostly eaten up with homework (which I think is ridiculous at such young ages, but that's another topic).

So, I think that is has become the responsibility of teachers to teach manners and morals. It doesn't have to be something that time is actually blocked out in class; it can simply be using examples daily to show good manners vs. bad. If a child does something rude, it might just be because he or she doesn't know any better. Rather than simply punishing the student, a teacher can find ways to explain why the behavior is rude and what should be done as an alternative behavior. Of course, this is very idealistic, but it's somewhere to start.

A big part of it is for the teachers themselves to show good manners to their students and to their colleagues. Children might have seen their parents being rude to each other, to outside people, or even to the children themselves. Being a good role model is an important part of being a teacher.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that manners should be taught to students through actions. If we show manners and respect to other people, students will notice.

It's a shame that manners aren't guaranteed at home.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Manners, Got to love em'. Manner should be taught everywhere not only in the home and school, but just in general public. By taught I mean demonstrated. But so often this is not the case, some times lacking in different places. I think it is also a good thing to be taught formally some manners that will give everyone the same starting off point. Manners are important to me and I think if you choose to teach some manners in the classroom more power to you!

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Emily. We as teachers are not just there to teach book knowledge, but other things as well. I believe manners falls into that category. My friend is a student teacher right now in Valle Crucis. She returned to school after raising her children. She is very big on manners and respect in the classroom. She addresses her students as ladies and gentlemen. It may seem that this is insignificant at first, but after addressing her students that way for several weeks she can see the small change in her students of how they view themselves when someone tells them through demonstration and addressing that they are capable of being ladies and gentlemen. So many times students are told to do this and do that and just "use manners" or "be respectful" but so many times in this age, they really don't understand what those two comments actually mean. Our example to them can help them understand.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that manners should be taught becase they are part of the Hidden Curriculum. I think that it is important for teachers to realize that not all students might not be taught this at home and any way to help them with manners. I feel like especially if you want your classroom to use manners, they do need to be taught and enforced.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone abou this subject. I've always been told before I started working with kids that if you have to get their respect. I believe that if you show them respect they will give it back to you in return. Thus, making the whole subject of manners easier to deal with. It would be much harder to expect your students to have great manners and be nice to everyone if they don't feel like they are getting that in return from you. Manners are very important today, and I wish that it would be stressed more than it is.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel the same way that everyone else does about this subject. Manners should be taught at home by their parents. Children should know how to say "please, thank you, and excuse me". They should be taught by their parents that you dont burp or fart in public, and if you have to, mind your manners with it. They should also be taught to respect their elders and people that are older than them. But we have to face it - it doesnt always happen at home. Teachers also have to reinforce this idea. Whenever I was in school, my teachers always made sure that we said "please and thank you". Some even required us to answer with a "yes mam, no mam". Manners are a critical part of life and what Ashley said with the hidden cirriculmn. It is just something we need to reinforce and in some cases, teach!

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]