View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Another interesting viewpoint 
All-star
All-star

The other day my friend said the president of BGLAAD (I hope I included all letters) talked at her sociology class. On the topic of same sex marriages she put it to them like this:
Imagine that the person you have spent your whole life with, that you love with all your heart, that you would risk your life for, that you have raised children with and shared a lifetime of intimate memories, imagine that they are on their death bed in a hospital in critical condition and you are not allowed to see them because legally, you are not blood related or have a marriage licenses.
WOW just thought that was a view I personally have never thought about.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is an interesting viewpoint to a very controversial topic. I know a couple years ago in my county they banned the book Te King and the King from public school libraries. How do you justify this to a student living in this situation? What do you say when they ask them why it is not ok that they have two dads or two moms?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is one of the most interesting concepts that I love to learn about is same sex marriages. I have seen documentary after doccumentary, read articles, books, in magazines, and have talked to those in same sex relationships about this issue. We are talking about real life emotions and people that have the emotions. Could you imagine not being able to see your the person who you loved so much before they died, to be able to kiss them and tell them that you love them? I don't know about you that would definately tear me a part. This is so often the case with those who are in same sex relationships. This is only one of many things that same sex relationships have to put up with. Along with this is insurance, healthcare, adopting children, in only some states is it allowed most of the time they are only allowed to do foster care. With insurance and healthcare since they are not married they are not allowed to include them on their insurance. I feel that we are all people and should all be allowed the same opportunities. I feel like we are so quick to judge and say this isn't right but for one of us to be put in that situation of not being able to provide for each other then what will we do? Also in school dealoing with students whose parents are in this situation it is ultimately your decision whether or not you want to get involved or not. What will YOU do?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

we talked about banned books one night in my world lit for children class and i have never been so enlightened. i kinda didn't think it was a big deal to ban a book. almost with the attitude of, "so what, you can't read that book anymore." it is so so so much more than that though. it is literally saying to EVERYONE that you do not have the right to some (not read) but HAVE ACCESS to this book. how can you tell someone that? i do believe in some degree of censorship as far as age and things of that nature go. there are certain things an eight year old should not see/read. however, banning a book is so big. it needs the upmost careful consideration before followed through with.

should they have banned the king and the king? i don't think so. and i am not one who agrees with homosexuality but i don't think it's fair to take a book off of the shelves and say that absolutely no one has the right to be able to read it if they so choose.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:40 pm
All-star
All-star

There is some debate in the GLBT community about the best solution to the situations Traci and Jennifer bring up, and they are relevant to parental and guardian rights in the school system. Basically I believe the whole marriage debate can be avoided if it were left for religions to figure out. There's already a separation of church and state in this nation so the state should grant civil unions that include legal rights to the situations mentioned above. People who oppose civil unions replacing marriages -- and some of them are in the GLBT community -- make silly arguments about citizens "marrying" their dogs and that's just absurd because dogs are not citizens, or they say unions are not equal to marriages but that is true only if one believes a minister/priest/rabbi/monk is more valid than a justice of the peace. Unions make the most sense, and they could more easily extend guardian rights to a foster parent who "marries" someone after adoption or whatever.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]