View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Clothes Catalogs 
All-star
All-star

Ok...this weekend, I was looking through one of my mom's clothing magazines that she receives in the mail. It was a lane bryant magazine. Lane Bryant clothing is generally for heavier women or full figured women. As I was looking through the magazine, there were NO full figured women, only skinny women who would NEVER shop there. It kinda made me mad that they would do this to their magazines...anyone else ever noticed this before?

this just reminded me of the way ads are portrayed...

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This has seriously been something that has always bothered me because again it strives for a women to feel like she must look a certain way and maybe if she buys clothes at this store where clothes fit she might eventually look like the models wearing the clothes. It pisses me off that body image is such a big deal...People are so beautiful with nothing but a smile and even that is not necassary... So many times my residents, all female, I hear them "I wish this I wish that" and everytime I say You are beautiful inside and out....I know it sounds so cliche and it is but to me its real and I will always say it.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with Traci.. It makes me mad that so much emphasis is put on body image and not what is on the inside.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is something that bothers me too. That is absurd that a Lane Bryant catalog has skinny women in it. I have had a friend with an eating disorder and I have seen firsthand someone go to the extreme to have the ideal figure. It is sad that women feel the need to do this to themselves just to feel beautiful.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will never understand why they do this. And why our society buys into their schemes??? its so sad.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just a thought as to why there are skinny models for plus size clothing...I think that it takes a lot of self confidence to be a plus size model and I do not think that it might be hard to find enough plus size women who are happy with their curves and want to model. I think that from that side of the industry, I think that it is just easier to find "skinny" models....and I think that companys are going to take what they can get.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I knnoooowww i'm tall, but why is that when I want to go buy a new pair of jeans I cant just walk into a store and pick out a pair just like most people?? Why is that I must look at my calendar a month in advance, flip through magazines (which include SHORT models) or the internet, order them, and pray their fit. I just found a store where I can buy jeans (average cost $90 a pair.) It's soooo frustrating. It really makes me feel abnormal when I cant shop like my friends or other people. :x

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is really annoying that their are skinny people in a clothing company that is supposed to sell to larger women, but Ashley makes a good point when she says that maybe it is hard to find larger woman. But to me it doesn't matter because I still think it is wrong to put skinny models in a magazine that is supposed to be for women that are more curvy.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like that there are women out there that are comfortable with their bodies and are willing to be models....like that show I have seen on TV...ugh I can not remember the name but it is for bigger people and its like a beauty pagent or something....but anyways I think its the decision of the magazine....There are billions of people that are on the earth, and how many models are used in a catelog spread like five or six I am pretty sure that there are people willing to be that model! I think it is kind of just going along with the crowd for us to think that bigger people lack self confidence.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:18 pm
Site Admin

There are plenty of plus size models, tall models, and so on. They just don't get hired for the jobs that are available.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

While we are on this subject I have some complaints. First of all, I realize my size is large. In fact, to be exact, it is XXL. So just so I am not embarrassed enough and thoroughly frustrated from the failures of sizing down, I go shopping with my friends (all under a 18 size) and they have fun in their Lerner store while I head to Lane bryant. So right now I know all this separation and despair is my fault, because no one has force fed me in my 25 years right? So I get to Lane Bryant and there are the SAME DAMN clothes that they have at Lerner, or PacSun, or Abercrombie except they have just used more material. So not only is there nothing for me to wear that is sensible, flattering, or comfortable, but I have an abundance of opportunity to choose from halter tops, tube tops, halter dresses, openchested shirts, mini skirts, and who knows what else that do NOT (I repeat) DO NOT belong on my body frame. Not only that, but everything is in spandex or cotton and horizontal stripes. While i appreciate lane bryant trying to bring "hip" fashion to us fat girls, I am almost tempted to go back to Walmart and buy the granny clothes in place of the overweight hooker look. You would think that if you are designing clothes for ample women you would know that horizontal makes you wider unless the stripes are compressed and varied. you would think that you would know that the cute sundress on the 10 size model, IS NOT gonna be cute on the 24 size girl. You would think that because most ample women carry their weight in their middle or rear area, that you would create jeans that apply to that instead of thinking it would be cool to expand the material on LOW RIDERS and you would think that someone who hopefully has gone to fashion school and done research for the ample model would know that straight legged jeans are not flattering I don't care how much material you save. WHEW. ok, i'm good, load off me. thanks for reading my venting. Just the original post brought up some neg feels toward Lane bryant. haha

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]