View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Closets are for Clothes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since we are going to be talking about transgender and homosexual issues today in class, I was wondering if anyone saw the play put on by the theatre department last semester called "Closets are for Clothes"? The play really opened my eyes to the struggles that transgender and homosexual people go through. All of the stories performed on stage were based on true stories and the play was very thought provoking. If it plays again this semester you all should go see it. Anybody else see the play?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It won't be playing again this semester; we generally don't do repeats of shows, especially not as mainstages.

Just to give anyone who didn't see the play a little background on Closets...it was written and directed by faculty member Gordon Hensley (who also happens to be in charge of the Theatre Ed branch) in a style a bit like The Laramie Project. Gordon interviewed several transgendered and homosexual people from around the country about some of their experiences, and the play was put together in a presentational format to follow the stories of seven people. They ranged from a transgendered woman to a gay man in his eighties to a lesbian woman who didn't fit the 'butch' norms of being a lesbian to a young man who committed suicide because of his sexuality.

The play was a very powerful piece of work with an intent to teach a lesson to its audience. However, several of my friends in the LGBT community felt unmoved by the play. They said they had seen the same sort of thing so many times, they felt a bit beaten over the head by it. The play seemed to be aimed more at educating the ignorant than anything else.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I saw this play last semester too and then stayed for a talk-back session after the play. Hearing from the director and some members of the community here it really made me realize how real these topics are and how things like hate crimes can happen anywhere.
There were also photos of the individuals who's stories were shown in the play and I think that helped to make the audiance realize teh reality of the play. I feel like this play was good because it gave the audiance a glance into the lives of real people and what they went through.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]