View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Is there a difference 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

All of the discussion of gender has kind of become confusing to me. I feel as though everything is being grouped together. I think that homosexuality, transgender, and someone being a hermaphrodite are all different and shouldn't necessarily put in the same category. I think there is a difference in having little boy in my classroom who is a hermaphrodite, and then the little boy in my classroom who just feels like a little girl inside. I guess I just want to know what everyone else thinks about this, and if you should approach these situations and characteristics differently?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

· Hermaphrodite - an individual in which reproductive organs of both sexes are present.
· Homosexual- Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
· Transgender- Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member the opposite sex.
o Appearing or attempting to be a member of the opposite sex, as a transsexual or habitual cross-dresser.

I was also confused after class but after reading Stephanie’s post I thought I would look these terms up to see exactly what each one meant. As you see above there are a lot of differences between each group, in which I feel should be approach differently. However, I feel I would have a hard time helping students with these situations because I would not know what to say. I understand the differences now, but understanding what to say to these students in my mind is the hardest part.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Christin... There is an obvious difference in each of these groups. I am not sure either how to treat these circumstances in the classroom or if they should even be treated differently. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Christin also, the groups are definately different, but I feel that sometimes they lump themselves together in order to gain a better treatment from society... I think their idea is strength in numbers. But the terms are definately different.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]