View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Same Sex Marriage 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How does everyone on this board feel about same sex marriage?

Personally, I think that another term should be created for it besides 'marriage'. Marriage is defined in the bible as uniting a 'man and a woman' in holy matrimony. I just think that if homosexuals want to become legally a couple, that another term should be coined for that, such as Union. I think that equal rights as married couples should be given to them, I think I just have a hard time w/ the term marriage being used to define a legal homosexual couple.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I definetely agree. People so often get angry because homosexuality is considered wrong in a biblical sense. Some people arent religious and that is okay, but when marrying, they shouldnt use the vows of God in the ceremonies.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with Emily and Courtney on the topic that people who choose to take part in same sex marriages should call it something else like union, instead of marriage. I had never really thought about this until I read this post, because a lot of times that is what bothers people to hear the term marriage being used with homosexual couples. This is a term that has always been around and has always meant the same thing, which is the joining of man and woman in holy matrimony. I’ll admit and say I do not agree with same sex marriages, however I feel this is their choice and we cannot take this right away from them. I think using the term marriage goes against what the bible talks about, which is the joining of a man and a woman. Using another term like union might help out some with the mean feelings among people over same sex marriages.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all the previous posts. I believe in Christ, therfore I will speak from a Christian standpoint. God did in fact intend for marriage to be between a MAN and a WOMAN. I believe that God is a compasionate God and that He loves us all as His children. However, if we believe in Christ we must strive to obey His comandments. I love everyone...all people. Man, woman, heterosexual, homosexual, but when it comes down to it, the Word of God is the Word of God.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that marriage is something special in God's eyes between a man and a woman. I think to use another term would be great. I do think that homosexual couples should have the right to have the same privileges as a "married couple", but it would be more appropriate to have another term.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:37 pm
All-star
All-star

so... if this is all about God and Christianity...

can Buddhists get married? Hindus? Jews? Atheists?

What if they don't have the whole "marriage is between a man and a women" in their cultures?

Remember, there are people of all kinds of faiths in our country. To exclude them is to say that they are unequal to you, and I know that I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that about anyone else.

P.S. not only might your classrooms have homosexual students, but you might have non-christians as well. Will you treat them differently than the straight Christians?

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not talking about other religions, I'm not saying that other religions can't get married. Let's stay on topic.

What I'm talking about is homosexuals getting married, regardless of their religion.

The question is how do members of this board feel about homosexuals and the term marriage.

I can't help but to take it personal that you would imply that I would professionally be unfair to a child who isn't Christian, or who isn't heterosexual. Just because their beliefs or lifestyle isn't the same as my own. I think that everyone on this board is professional enough that such an incident would not take place in their classroom. I know for certain that it most definately would not in mine.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that what Lillie was saying was that if it isn't okay for homosexuals to get married because it is something that God intended to be between a man and a woman, then wouldn't that mean an atheist also couldn't marry because they didn't believe in God? Or, could a couple who was atheist and homosexual marry, because they don't believe in God and therefore don't believe that anyone intended marriage to be between a man and a woman?

It's just another way of looking at what has been said.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Thank you Meghan. Emily, I was not aiming my comments at your post. I was raising other questions that are important, in my mind. Meghan explained my thought process very well. If we are going to define marriage only in the Christian way, then it raises questions about the legitimacy of other religions. I was honestly just asking questions. I get the feeling that often people only think in terms of the religion to which they belong, and I wanted to bring in a different perspective.

I did not mean to imply that any of us would be unfair to any child. I think we are all level-headed, intelligent people who are going to be fantastic teachers. Again, I just wanted to change the perspective.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:00 am
All-star
All-star

Indeed; the question was on banning homosexual marriage. What I see here is the potency of conviction and the reasons that our government's founders foresaw balance and moderation in law. In other words: should America become a theocracy on Earth? It's not an absurd question; there are nations based on religion.

The People have the power in this Nation to outlaw stem-cell research, limit abortion, and restrict marriage. The problem I see, even if we are professional, is obfuscating the obvious reasons behind some of these laws: conviction. If we say marriage is religious, for example, how do we justify resticting it via our Law? What, I pray, prevents us from justifying any idea that religions have advocated? Some Muslims believe in jihad, some Hindi want a return of the chaste system where people are born inferior, or the Jewish belief that women should be separated from society while menstrating (still found in the Christian Old Testament). So I find this discussion is butting heads between people's personal convictions and how best to govern people of different convictions. It is a persistent debate.

The spirit of our Bill of Rights is just as delicate to me as the spirit of the Bible. Yet the difference, as I read here, is how religion may change a person's convictions but it may not necessarily affect other people; and how government may not change a person's convictions, but government does necessarily affect other people's lives. My hope is that we, as teachers, see the difference between defending religion by not "prohibiting the free exercise thereof" yet imposing our convictions on other citizens by banning research, abortion or marriage for religious reasons, because there should be "no law respecting an establishment of religion". It is a delicate distinction, and I personally believe, from my reading of the Gospel, that Jesus abused neither government nor religion while he was on Earth.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]