View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Class on Tuesday 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"People who were assigned a gender, usually at birth and based on their genitals, but who feel that this is a false or incomplete description of themselves." Wikipedia

I came from a small town and I have never heard of or been around transgenders. The video that we watched Tuesday was suprising to me. I dont understand how one can feel that they are suppose to be a different gender when God put you into this world as a male or female. God gave you a gender and I just cant seem to think that someone would want to change it. I mean how do you feel that you need to be a different gender? I just cant understand this.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have this same problem because I also come from a small town where I did not see transgender. I figure if there were transgenders they kept it quiet because my hometown is very religious and against transgenders. However, I do feel sorry for people who are born with both female and male parts. I cannot imagine being in their shoes wondering who I really should be. So in this situation I can see why these people would always being wondering if they should be someone else. I mean think about it, really the person that tells us whether we are a girl or a boy is our parents or doctors. This reminds me of an episode I watched on Law and Order SVU. A baby started out as boy but when the doctors were doing a circumcision they accidentally cut more than they should have. So the parents and the doctor decided to cut it completely off and have him grow up as a girl. They thought this would be the best decision because they felt the boy’s life would be ruin because people would make fun of him. The boy grew up as a girl with help from pills and counseling. Toward the end of the episode audience finds out that his DNA shows him as being a boy. After that parents tell the truth along with the doctor. They tell the boy about it and he begins to explain that he knew something wasn’t right and that he felt like he should have been someone else. So all those years of anger were understandable because he was fighting emotions with in himself. There was more of a story to this episode, but I just wanted to tell you an example of where I can see someone wanting to be another gender. However, like Kelly says I cannot understand why someone that has not been born with these problems would want to be another gender when that was the way God made them.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like this is something that you really can;t understand unless you actually experience it. But either way I think we just need to be accepting of it and accept people as they are. I also have a problem with the word want being used, because wanting makes it sound like a choice that a person just decides on, and I think there's a lot more to it than that.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Meghan. This isn't something that will all of a sudden make sense if its not something that you have experienced personally. I also agree that regardless of whether we grew up around it or not it is still something that as teachers we have to be ready to handle. We are so much more than just teachers to our students. And even if this situation isn't common, it is still there and it could very well be in the front row of your classroom. So regardless of how you feel about it, that chld is still your student. I'm really glad this is something that we have discussed in class because it is definitely something that is seldomly discussed elsewhere.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I, like the others, am also from a small town and I have not really had the experience that some people have had growing up in larger cities. But, I agree that regardless of whether we have experienced it or not, it is something that we should definitely be aware of and know how we would handle it if ever we were in a situation such as this. Especially as teachers we should know what to do because we are going to be around a diverse group of children and parents.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]