View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 How do you know... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was thinking back to what we discussed in class about how did you know you were male or female. I think the obvious reason was physical, biological factors. However, I know we also said our parents told us. I was thinking about this and I don't ever remember my mom or dad having to say, "Stephanie, you are a girl". I think if they did I would have laughed and said “duhâ€

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think parents might not straight out tell you hey you are a girl or a boy, but the first thing new parents do is find out if their new baby is going to be female or male (biological) is paint their room a certain color or buy certain outfits that fit the standard for the gender. Your biology is different but does the exposure your environment around you determine how you are going to ultimately act? I have no idea about the research done on this but I definately think that nature and nurturing will have an effect on the issue of identifying with a certain gender. My parents definately had the girly outfits for me to wear when I was younger, but I think we all realize that we are going to be who we are going to be no matter how we dress.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:12 pm
All-star
All-star

My cousin painted his daughters room pink, her comforter and bed spread is pink, even her little TV is a specially ordered pink. She's known in the family as "girly" ever since she insisted on wearing a tutu during Christmas (a pink tutu, surprise surprise).

The only thing my parents sat me down for was when they gave the ole' "The Birds and the Bees" talk, you know. In some ways I fit into the stereotypical boy. I played with Legos a lot, I liked building model cars and ships, Dad built us a tree house to play outside in, and I built a big, toy train set from leftover lumber. In other ways I didn't fit the boy stereotype. I remember that I found my sister's doll house interesting and sometimes played with it (she had made up the rooms all wrong or something ;). I tried on my Mom's church shoes once -- back when women wore high-heels -- and thought they were stupid. They hurt and made you fall; I thought that was just stupid. Hehe.

There were probably other gender-bending things from my childhood that I don't remember, but Mom and Dad never sat me down probably cause I didn't come right out and wear girls clothes or something...

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My aunt allowed my boy cousin when he was a child to carry a "doll" and said that it was ok show emotions. Now this doll was no Barbie or Baby doll...it more or less was along the lines of a rag doll that was pretty simple...therefore from the early age he was exposed to emotions. Now as an adult, my cousin is engage and a boy who has a heart of gold and I can't help but wonder if this is the reason!

Do you think there is anything wrong with boys carrying dolls as a young child?

Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]