View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 interesting eavesdropping 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So I was standing in line at taco bell last night just waiting for my order and I was next to a table of a family eating and i happened to over hear soem converstation. It was what i would guess would be the grandfather saying something in a joling manner to his grandson about how he was a girl and his name was danielle not daniel and then the mom said to the son, well you just tell him his name is wilma not wayne. The tone and setting I think was intended as harmless teasing and I of course do not know any of the context of this situation and I am drawing alot of conclusions that may not be true. But I just immediately thought of this class and all our dicussion about boys and girls. This was just really interesting to me because of this whole topic so I just thought I would share it with the class......

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hahaha Im sorry that makes me laugh cause when my brother and sister and I were younger we would always tease my brother (he's the baby) by calling him Michelle (his name is Michael) He used to get soo mad at us. Believe me the child does not have a complex! your story just made me think of that!:)

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like those kinds of things are joked about all the time. Where I'm from it was common for the guys to say stuff like that to each other when they were trying to get under each other's skin. But teasing is going to go on in every classroom that we enter so I feel like having experiences like Torrey's, and talking about how things like that affect people, just prepares us to better handle the situation in the future.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A couple of my guy friends from home got their ears pierced and when they showed their parents they got very similar responses. In both cases the moms were just a "little disappointed" but the dads harassed them about turning into girls and needing to change their names. Most of us actually found it slightly humerous. (woopsie)

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]