View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 A Teacher's Religion 
All-star
All-star

I've been reading lots of religious references on our discussion board in the context of morals, homosexuality and transsexuality, and gay marriage, and I believe it is time to focus squarely on religion in school. So:

How should religion affect schooling?

I think it's far too easy to say "none". Generally I find people say religion ought to have no direct affect but the subtleties are there. Schools still celebrate religious Holydays, for example, and I would bet that the vast majority of teachers are dutifully religious.

Personally I think schools should take an agnostic position. This means that religious questions like "Does God exist?", "What is the purpose of life?", and "Is that immoral?" may be questioned by students in our classes but I, as the teacher, should not give any religiously based answers. The questions would, essentially, remain open-ended although student's mind would keep on churning. ;) It reminds me of the Socratic method and my 10th grade English teacher's style. We read the Bible (actually the New Testament), Torah (parts of Old Testament), Quaran (the Muslim canon), Siddhartha (about the Buddha); and my teacher started lively discussions about the works but she stayed conspicuously silent on our direct religious questions that ever sounded like "Is that true?" or "Is that the right thing to do?"

What's everyone's opinion?

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Okay. Why is no one answering this question? You've had a week to think about it... :shock:

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Alright, I've already said some things concerning religion, but I'll respond to this anyway. Justin, I agree that it is not appropriate for teachers to answer questions such as "does God exist" and the others that you stated. I believe that several subjects cannot be taught, however, without teaching students about religious ideas--but not trying to make them believe in that religion. Chorus teachers face this a lot. If you leave out sacred music, you are leaving out about half of it! I remember a controversy over whether or not we should be allowed to sing the Hallelujah Chorus at a winter concert. My choir director had to talk to us about how we can sing something without actually literally believing it--that we could think of it as a musical experience, and possibly interpret in a way that fits with our own beliefs.

My mom is an elementary school music teacher, and is also the diversity person at her school, so she has to "set a good example". This can be pretty amusing around the winter holidays, because she feels obligated either to leave out religion all together, or incorporate music for Christian, Jewish, and Muslim holidays, as well as many others, whether or not there are actually students of those various religions in the school! The problem with this is that there is a ton of Christian music, and hardly any Muslim music, for example. A large factor in this is historical--the Christian music is what was written down and still remains today. Also, many composers were hired by churches.

So that's a roundabout way of saying that it's impossible to get a good education without ever learning about religion, but teachers should not try to impose their personal beliefs on the students.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that religion is not something that can be left out. If you don't bring it up, one of your students is bound to. I think allowing the child to explore an answer to their own question is a good way to start. I can't say that I wouldn't give my own opinion though. I am a the children's minister for First Baptist Blowing Rock and all the kids at Blowing rock School and Cove Creek school know that because I go there to eat lunch with my kids from church, and all their friends have been to one kid event or another that I have headed up. I'm not going to lie when I say that I encourage my kids at church to be bold in their classrooms and talk to their friends about Christ. I have invited many kids (knowing their parents first of course) to my parents night outs and kids on missions and lockins from both schools. The fact that i was director at our church based summer camp where most of these kids attended also drives home my core beliefs. It is not something I can hide or intend to shy away from. I do believe however, that a student asking that question is looking for a meaning, a purpose, an answer and their own self exploration will leave them more satisfied than my impressed ideals.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]