View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Reinstating the Draft? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I seen on CNN.com where someone proposed that we reinstate the draft, ages 18-42, women and men. I'm just curious as to how you all feel about this issue.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:05 am
All-star
All-star

Congressman Rangel has proposed reinstating the draft a few times and I respect his reasons. Rangel is a senior member of Congress and represents NYC's Harlem district, and he is outspoken for advocating issues for the lower and middle classes. When I last heard Rangel on the news, it sounds like his reasons for proposing the draft include forcing us to personally consider the cost of fighting in Iraq. One of those costs is burdening our military with a war, or situation if you dislike the word war, that we might not be able to sustain via volunteers and recruits.

And if I was drafted, I would serve. Teaching civic duty is something lacking in our schools. But I believe we were wrong to invade Iraq. Allowing all citizens to express themselves, whether in the military or not, should not be suppressed by teachers with the 'not supporting our troops' mantra I keep hearing. The servicemen I know -- my two female cousins haven't said much about it but they aren't stationed in combat, so I say "servicemen" -- these soldiers serve and still express their opinion against being in Iraq.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Personally I don't agree with a draft, simply because the military that we have now is spending billions upon billions of our dollars. That to me means they could afford to pay soldiers a little more to go. I don't actually think the draft will go through at this point, but I guess we never know. I think a lot more people will get involved if they hear about it though. I know that in the past when there were wars with a draft involved, people were really concerned with what was happening and they were listening to the news every day. It hits home a little more if you think a loved one (or yourself) could be stripped from the life you knew at any moment. I also don't think that all soldiers are against the war in Iraq. Many of them did sign up for a reason, and that was to protect our country at all costs. I believe that as teachers we need to be aware that we will have students whose family memebers are stationed in Iraq, and it is a real struggle that they go through every day. So if we go into a classroom and express our feelings about whether the war was right or wrong...that's wrong. That is not the time or the place. It's our job, as stated in the NCSCOS, to teach our students how to become good citizens. That doesn't mean make up their mind for them about whether a war is right or wrong. All that means is that we need to make sure the students know that the freedom that was given to us is special, and it does need to be protected. I'm not for the war either, but I am for our soldiers. Those are real people over there, and I do know some of them. So I'm not about to sit back and pretend that everything they are doing is in vain.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:51 pm
All-star
All-star

the whole war subject is touchy for me. My fiancee's brother in law is in Kuwait right now for a year. He just came back from Afghanistan a year and a half ago and has to be gone again. His wife and 5 year old son are stationed in Hawaii and will be there until he comes back home. He is an officer in the army so his job is mainly office work, but he still has to be away from his family for an entire year...missing his sons ball games and first days of school. I feel like the draft wouldnt solve anything. We have tons of soldiers in our United States Army that have never been shipped out, while we have some like my brother in law in this case, who have been on endless assignments.....

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am against starting the draft because of course he scares me that my family, friends or me could be drafted, but it also seems stupid to start a draft for a hopeless reason. I support our troops that are serving over seas or are stationed in American at bases, but the idea of us being over there I think is stupid. I feel this war is a hopeless cause and we are not accomplishing anything. The only thing that seems to be happening each day is more of our innocent soldiers who are over there doing as they are told are being killed or injured. So starting the draft to me is useless. If we were actually fighting for something that meant something to Americans, then I am sure people would be signing up just because they wanted to help out. Starting the draft up and sending more people over to fight a hopeless cause seems stupid and ridiculous. If our government leaders want to fight this war so bad why don’t they go and fight this war and leave everyone else along. After all, when they start the draft their children will not be fighting in the war, but we will have to because we have no choice.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am ok with reinstating the draft it it had to come to it but there would definetly have to be some major reforms to the process becuase the last time we had a draft (Vietnam) there was a disproportionate number of poor and minoritiies who were drafted. They would have to make where everyone was available for it no matter if you have money, are in college, or are a "senators son" for me to support it. I remember when I turned 18 and had to register for the selective service it did not bother me because like Justin I believe strongly in civic duty.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]