View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Influence 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I watch one of the only epsisodes I have seen of Desperate housewives the other night and and it was about eating disorders. Gaby (I think thats right) is an ex model and she goes to help up and coming models. These up and coming models are not what she expected, in other words not stick skinny and artificially pretty. She tells them stories of her modeling days dealing with throwing up and smoking unfiltered cigarettes, and these young girls go home feeling horrible about life and themselves and want to experiement with these things thinking thats the way it has ot be. We have talked about this topic alot in class and I am very aware of its presence, but this show truly showed me how much an effect someone in that role model position can have. The girls were hanging on every word that came out of her mouth. I think another important thing about this subject is how careful we are of what we say and how others, especially our students will hear it because we have no idea what effect that might have on their life. I just thought this was an interesting way to learn this lesson. Did anyone else watch it?

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I didn't see this episode, but your description made me think of something from my psych class... sort of related, in that it has to do with the way people respond to what others tell them.

Apparently there is an ethical issue having to do with bringing in people who had or are recovering from eating disorders to speak on campus. It seems like a good idea, because they can tell first hand how terrible it is. However, it turns out that the number of people with eating disorders actually increases after hearing these types of lectures. The reasoning is that the audience sees a survivor, and that image is more compelling than the fact that most people with eating disorders do not survive. Thus, they go home thinking that they could probably try it and be okay.

This really shocked me because it had never occurred to me that this sort of thing, with such good intentions, could actually have the opposite effect.

Anyway--I am agreeing that it's important to watch what we say!

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we as future teachers have to watch what we say; after all, our students are watching us constantly. For the most part students look up to teachers as role models. Especially in elementary school, students are so influential. This reminds me of an event that happened when I was in fifth grade. This has nothing to do with eating disorder but it proves that children are very influential. My teacher had to be out and the sub that was coming she did not like. The next day the before the sub got there a couple of my classmates hid the grade book, that contained all the information about us and the lesson for that day. Even though a lot of us had no clue where it was or who did it we all stuck together and never said anything. After thirty minutes my teacher went down to get the principal. He came down to our room and made the two that hid the grade book go and get it. Then he wanted an explanation why we did something like this. Then that was when some of us told the truth that our teacher had told us to. Anyways, when my teacher got back she got in a little trouble but she didn’t get ill us because she had said something to us that influence us to do this. I do not exactly remember what she said to us that influence this to happen, but I do know that she did not directly tell us to do that, she just kinda said if someone was to…………..
I just thought I would share this with you in order to prove the point that students are very influential. Students are always listening and are willing to do whatever you say because they think you know all.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Children learn most of their behavior patterns by copying others and having role models. Children’s role models can be a powerful, a positive influence, or responsible, but if they see adults behaving in any way they will learn that it is acceptable to behave like that. I feel that adults have to accept that children’s behaviors have to do with the way they see the adults around them behaving.

In addition, as teachers we should be positive role models to our student every day because they watch us and form opinions about us. The way we speak with our colleagues, the way we dress, whether we are punctual to class…etc - Our young children are watching us all. The way adults behave as role models for young people is something we should aware about.

What we can do is to ensure that the role models the children see around them are positive role models, displaying kind, positive, helpful traits. If our children see parents and teachers who are positive role models they will have an idea of which behaviors are okay to copy. For me, a role model is an individual who acts as a guide (a person who uses their personal experience to inform and help direct others in a positive way). This positive attitude is extremely important for young people and others who may feel that nothing positive happens or will happen in their life and need to hear and see how to achieve and succeed in spite of all that seems at odds in their lives. Role models possess qualities that we would like to have and emulate. They can be younger or older or your same age. Young children learn from their environment and spend most of their time in school with their classmates and teachers.

Dictionary’s Definition of Role Model- refers to a person who fills his or her role as a good or bad example for others. A good example is a positive role model. A bad example is a negative role model. The term role model on its own is usually taken to mean a positive role model. A positive role model carries out a role demonstrating values, ways of thinking and acting, which are considered good in that role. Others hopefully will follow the example. A woman professor can be seen as a role model for other women, on the strength of her furthering of the profile of women in academia. Alternatively, she could be seen as a role model for aspiring academics, regardless of their gender, on the strength of her academic achievements and/or dedication to her chosen discipline. Parents can be positive role models helping their children learn adult ways or they can be negative role models.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]