View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Just wanted to share this... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We discussed in class how all types of people adapt to new situations in different ways and it doesn't necessarily have to do with just being from an inner city school. I just wanted to share a story of my own that has to do with one of my family members. I have a cousin who is a year older than me and he was always the brightest, most outgoing person I knew. He came from a great family and had much support for everything in his life. He graduated as salutatorian of his high school, which was a very diverse high school, and he had a full scholarship to Chapel Hill. However, he decided to venture out and he went to Brown University. His sophomore year of college I got a phone call from my parents that completely shocked me; my cousin was in the hospital because he had tried to commit suicide, and his roommate found him just in time. This was a guy who no one ever even thought would try something like this and we were all completely shocked and saddened to find out. I guess he did have so much pressure to just be that perfect, ideal white male that he just felt as though he had no way out. I am happy to say that after a semester leave from Brown he returned and is doing better than ever. I think everyone in life experiences pressures and new situations, regardless of if you come from a bad background or a terrific one. Everyone is their own person and has the potential to succeed, fail, or even in my cousin’s case come to the point where things get so rough and confusing they just want life to end.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like this is happening more and more among students in today’s society. They are setting huge goals and expectations for themselves, and if they do not make these goals they are stressed and unstable, which could cause them to do things like commenting suicide. I know someone that is like this in which she gets so upset and stressed out about school. She always made A’s in high school and was in the top ten of her class. She never had any problems until she got here. She has set such high expectations and goals that if she does not make it, she will worry herself until she becomes sick. Example: She made an 86 on a PowerPoint presentation the other day and she was upset that she did not make an A. Before she had found out her grade she was worried and upset that she had failed it, due to her performance during a PowerPoint. Now I don’t know about you, but if I was that worried that I had failed it and I ending making an 86, I would be happy and thrilled that I did not fail. She also thinks that if you she does not make high A’s that she will let her parents and everyone else down, because she is not making high A’s. She feels like they would get ill, because she is not living up to her high school image.

I feel like as a future teacher this is something I need to talk to my students about. I want them to know it is alright to set high goals and expectations for yourself, but just remember that if you do not make this level it is not the end of the world. You tried your best and that is all that matters. Put this behind you and think about the next thing. Just work harder but don’t stress out about it, because that will only hurt you instead of help you.

In a way I feel like our education system is part to blame, because we set such high goals for children. Students are busting their butts trying to make that score and if they don’t make it they fail. There are no wonder students are dropping out of school or turning to alcohol or drugs to relieve stress. Students who you never thought would start drinking will take a drink thinking it will relieve stress or make them feel better, which eventually turns into a habit.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]