View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Ender's Game 
All-star
All-star

Regina, you are right. Ender's Game is a good book. :D I can't wait to finish reading it. The book reminds me of one I read many years ago, 1984, in which "big brother" is always watching you.
Cindy

Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I, too, am enjoying Ender's Game. The book that I am put in mind of is The Giver, by Lois Lowry. The children in this book are watched and tested to see what they should become. They have no control over their destinies, until one boy finds a way to buck the system.

Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:20 am
All-star
All-star

Ender's Game, is nice change of pace after our last book. I am really enjoying it and I am not normally a big science fiction fan. I remember reading 1984 in 9th grade. I have never read The Giver, but it sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll pick it up to read when I get some free time.

Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also thought about Lois Lowery's, The Giver. There are numerous similarities. I did, however, find The Giver a more enjoyabe read. I had to keep reminding myself ther Ender was a six year old child. [/i]

Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:32 pm
All-star
All-star

Sherrie, I am glad to hear you are not a science fiction reader also. I don't read a lot of science fiction, but I did enjoy this book. I have not read The Giver, but after reading this I am anxious to read it. You are right Janelee, you have to keep remembering throughout the book that Ender is a child.

Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:41 pm
All-star
All-star

:P HEY!! It's great that you all like it so much.

Sorry I haven't posted. :x Our computers are being "upgraded" so you know what that means - they went from functional most of the time to hardly working at all.

:wink: I've felt totally out of touch w/o my e-pals! I think we're going to have a GREAT class Wed night. I can't wait to hear everybody's take on Ender, Peter, Val, Mom & Dad (strange birds), and especially Graff.

Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I'd have to say overall it is an OK book. I really had to remind myself that Ender is only 6 also! I have not read any of the other books discussed above but I have read Harry Potter. I know they are different but many times I have had to remind myself that. In my mind I keep picturing Ender as Harry!

Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:17 am
All-star
All-star

I have never read any of the books you all have mentioned. I am not a big science fiction reader, but I did enjoy Ender's Game. Maybe while I am lying at the beach over the summer, I can catch up on those. My mind is too full right now to take on any more. Ha!! I'm nuts!! :shock:

Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:40 pm
All-star
All-star

i think the most interesting and possibly frightening thing is my son now plans computer games very very much like the ones described in this book. the former craze of paint ball splattering was something like the battle room just without the anti gravity clause.

i watch the kinds of stategies my son uses and i learn a tremendous amount about how he thinks and conceptualizes. this book is not total fiction. it is already a partial reality. we are training kids and adults to think in certain patterns by these games. have any of you seen or played the star wars games? i hate this kind of stuff but you cannot live with a teen ager without having it ooze into your life. so much of it has to do with logic, strategies and removing pre -conceptions of gravity and three dimensional space. most kids are really good at these games yet, they cannot read fluently or reason out a simple mathematical equation. is the nature of intelligence being re defined?

Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kristi, I am so glad you said that about Ender reminding you of Harry Potter. I kept thinking that as I was reading. I just finished the book a few minutes ago and really enjoyed it. It did make me think of how sometimes as I am assessing my kinders, that I am and the state, is losing sight of their childhood.

Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm glad that most people enjoyed the book, I sure did! I haven't read a
Science Fiction book in quite sometime, but I really thought the book was
action packed and interesting. My favorite character was Valentine. She
was absolutely precious! Her true love for her brother almost made me
cry. I adored her quote on page 313 when she said," Now I want a chance to know the brother that I love, before it's too late". The true love
that she and Ender felt for one another was a genuine love that I wish all
brothers and sisters had for one another.

Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I never had an interest in Science Fiction and was reluctant to read Ender's Game. I'm glad I did. Also, I would like to read other books Card has written.

Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]