View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dewey/Darwin articles 
All-star
All-star

OK. The articles were very hard to follow, but in the Dewey article I believe it was trying to point out that with the advent of our more industrialized society at the turn of the century, we should try to get children to understand the work ethic and how this can help young adults become more disciplined individuals in society. I got the impression with the cotton lesson that the students needed to see and work through the steps of how to prepare the cotton to create cloth. The students studied the steps and could develop an appreciation for what once had to be done by hand. Am I on the right track or completely off? The article seemed to say to me that we should prepare students for all aspects of life both professional and vocational. If I am wrong, please somebody set me straight.

Kim :?

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:46 pm
All-star
All-star

That sounds good Kim. I have no idea what educational concept I was supposed to grasp from the Darwin article. :?: It sure isn't the most exciting article I have ever read.
Cindy

Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, Kim, I think that you are on the right track. I also believe with the cotton lesson that they were trying to show just how much more work it was to get cotton cloth made than it was for wool.

Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]