View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Nickel and Dimed 1st assignment 
All-star
All-star

I thought the book was interesting and informative. I found this information from page 117 interesting. "Work is supposed to save you from being an "outcast," as Pete puts it, but what we do is an outcast's work, invisible and even disgusting. Janitors, cleaning ladies, ditchdiggers, changers of adult diapers-- these are the untouchables of a supposedly caste-free and democratic society." I think it is unfortunate that some people feel this way about the people who do these jobs, because these people do jobs that are important to us. We have a WONDERFUL janitor :lol: in our school family and it would be hard to get by without him!!!!!!
Cindy

Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:05 am
All-star
All-star

If you haven't told your custodians this you should! They would love to hear it. I agree with you- we wouldn't be able to get by with out these important people in our schools. I try to remember to thank our custodians at least once a week for the many jobs they do around the school. I think they need to hear that we appreciate what they do for us and the childern.

Last edited by kristi wietzke childers on Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:21 am
All-star
All-star

Isn't that the truth! There are many people who would not "soil their hands" by doing those jobs that no one else would do, but what would any of us do without them?!

Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:19 pm
All-star
All-star

anyone who has ever had a crappy job can relate to this book. it is important to tell people how much you appreciate them or at least acknowledge them as people not invisible servants.
i have driven my own children nuts over the years because i stop to talk to grocery store clerks, drive thru tellers, wal mart associates, etc. a little kindness goes a long way. when the grocery store line goes on forever and the poor woman trying to ring up everybody is getting fussed at, i make a point to say"hi, you look really tired. it must be rough tonight with so many people in here. i hope you can go home soon and put your feet up." i always get a positive response.
i was at an atlanta braves game buying popcorn and sodas and i noticed the women working the lines had to stand up all night. i said " hey, they ought to get you ladies some nice high stools with comfy cushions on them. it is too rough to stand up all night" the ladies laughed and we joked on some more. just then my 7 year old dropped/dumped $35 worth of drinks and snacks by accident. everything was in a big puddle. i started to clean it up (so they wouldn't have to) and the next thing i knew, four ladies handed me my entire order over again .. no charge. they all smiled and said "we have kids we know how it is." ted turner would have been furious. i was overwhelmed by their kindness.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I also think we should thank people who do this for us. I certainly appreciate them. I am the first one to go berzerk when a child throws up all over the place. I am so thankful to be able to call for help. I do help, but I have this problem that I usually throw up with them. Ha!!! :D Give all of these people a great big hug. I couldn't do it!!

DANA

Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you. I think we should praise our janitors in the schools on a daily basis. When I read the lines Cindy was refering toon page 117, I thought that Pete meant, that work kept you from being an outcast, referring to one who does not have work as being the outcast. To him it was better to do any of these jobs than to have no job at all. The aughor refers to these jobs as jobs of outcasts. I think in our society we are defined by what we do.

Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Our custodian who works during the school day definitely fits in with the rest of the staff. His job is just as important as anyone's and I think he knows it. He is well treated and respected by everyone. However, we have another lady who comes in after school to clean. She is kind of quiet but really nice once you get to know her. However, a lot of people don't take the time. Either they are already gone when she comes or they leave the room when she comes in. It makes her mad when she passes a teacher in the hall and they don't day anything, but when she comes in there will be a note for her to make sure to do certain things. She talks to me a lot about how a few of the staff members seem to look down on her because of her job.

Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]