View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nickle and Dimed - Hotel Cleanliness 
All-star
All-star

I can't beleieve that no one has mentioned this, but maybe it just stands out to me because I have a germ phobia. I don't think I'll ever be able to stay in a hotel again. I have always wondered if the rooms are really cleaned and this book confirmed my fears that they are not. I certainly don't blame the housekeepers, considering their working conditions and low salary. I would be tempted to do the same thing. If the beds happened to look clean, I might just make them up, throw in some clean towels, rinse the tub and be on my way. Especially if I were being paid by the room. But what about those bedspreads? Are those things EVER washed?! Ewwwww! :o

Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Melissa, I think about this any time I stay in a motel, which isn't very often. Sometimes I take my own pillows, blankets and anti-bacterial wipes. I don't think I would want "The Maids" or Merry Maids to clean my house, either.
Cindy

Last edited by Cindy on Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:21 am
All-star
All-star

The Merry Maids thing stood out more to me...WOW, can you believe the short-cuts? Those houses aren't clean!!!

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:23 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

No the houses are not clean. I'm surprised the people who live in the houses do not get some kind of bacterial sicknesses from dirty rags being used in their kitchens.
Cindy

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:56 am
All-star
All-star

The Merry Maids stood out to me too. I was telling a friend of mine last night about the book and the story of the Merry Maid. All they do is push around dirt. I would not hire someone else to clean my house before reading this but I certainly would not now! Gross!

Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Melissa & Cindy, I agree. I am more than a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to germs. I always take linens, lysol, shower shoes, and a multitude of disinfectant cleaners with me whenever I'm forced to stay in a motel. It makes my skin crawl just to think of all the dirt and germs in those places! :shock:

I'm just glad that now when my fam/friends label me as having OCD, I can pull-out Nickel and show them a germ phobia is more than rational. :D

Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I was surprised that if the houses had the hidden cameras and the owners sometimes watching them, they could get away with the dirty rags and water. She even cleaned the floor on her hands and knees in front of the owner using the same half filled bucket of dirty water. Yuck!

Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I saw a show on this on 60 minutes or another one like it. It has always stuck in my mind about the cleanliness of hotels after seeing that show. This book verifies what the show did, that hotels are not exactly the cleaninest places. I always do an inspection upon entering. We bring in our own items too, blankets and pillows. It makes me feel better.

Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]