View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Nickel and Dimed- not enough to live on 
All-star
All-star

I'm not sure how some of the people in the book make it on the salary they have. When I was in college I worked 2 jobs during the summer and Christmas break. I worked at Taco Bell during the days and Publix supermarket at night and Sundays, the day you made $1 more an hour and knew you'd be off by 10:00 PM. Yes, I worked as often as those in the book and for the same basic salary but I was not trying to raise a family. In fact I wasn't even trying to support myself because I lived at home while on break. I had one job to help supplement my 15 hour/week on campus job during the school year. The other was because I was bored so I decided to work and put that check towards college loans. I can't imagine putting in the same hours and being dependent on the money to live. Like Barbara in Nickel and Dimed I knew that was not going to be my life. It was temporary and I could get through it.

Unfortunatly there are so many out there that will always be stuck in those dead-end, low paying jobs. I would think that there are many that are thankful to have the position they have. Most of the time there are jobs that could be worse than the ones they have. I am thankful that there are people to do the jobs that not everyone wants to do. This goes from the lowest paid worker to the highest salary that a doctor could earn. I just wish that the low wasn't so low and the high wasn't so high.

I know I just said a lot that really doesn't fit together. It's just a bunch of thoughts at 11:30 on a Friday night. Forgive me if it's hard to follow. :)

Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:47 pm
All-star
All-star

Since Kristi shared, I thought I might too...

I could relate to the book so well. Especially the feelings relating to pride and fear.

Quick synopsis of my 20s: In 1990, At 19 I dropped out of college to get married and have my son, with my boyfriend of three years. Not exactly what my family wanted for me. (My grandparents and all aunts and uncles, siblings...everyone is college-educated.)

So, trying to appear to be able to handle everything...we set up house. I kept children in my house so I could stay at home with my son. My husband worked low-pay jobs....First tax year--8,000....Second tax year--12,000...(I have envelopes for all our taxes, so this is truth) Third year--14,000...and so on. Never getting above 20,000 until I started to teach in 98.

There were times we didn't have milk or money to buy it. It was so scary because this child depended on us. I wore the same clothes I wore in high school unless my dad gave me some at Christmas or my birthday. My family lived out of state so it was easy to hide this struggle from them most of the time. If the phone was turned off, it must have been because the phone company was having problems. Our only car reposessed? We got rid of it to save money... Always lying to save "face".

I went to school at night--loans. And then I had to go during the day for my block classes. My son was starting Kindergarten so the time was okay. Those people I went to school with complained about teacher pay all the time! I would just laugh. I knew it was possible to survive on a lot less. Not that teachers don't deserve more--but these students had never survived on their own... so I found it amusing for them to think they knew how much 23,000 was or how far it would go.

Anyway, I am over 30 now and it is so nice to have a paycheck that at least covers the bills--no talking on the phone to credit account people anymore.

My students live in households that resemble my own at 20-29...and I understand their parents so well. I think that is why I had to go through all that.

Oh, I'm sorry this is so long and personal.

Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:22 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I was not surprised how difficult it was for Barbara to survive. During
my 20's I experienced the same difficult challenges upon graduating from college. At the time there wasn't any teaching jobs available and I worked two jobs to survive. At this desperate time I can remember surviving on 1 pack of cheese crackers each day. I was so determined to make it that I did not let my parents know because I REALLY didn't want to move back home. It was enlightening to know that Barbara's life was eventually going to change for the better.

Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Amanda, thank you for sharing such a personal story. Wow. I can't even begin to imagine what you went through. I've always liked you, but my respect for you has just magnified. :)

It was funny what you said about people who complain about teacher's pay. I laugh at them too!! My job has truly been a blessing to me. I am aware and can appreciate it b/c of how much I saw my mother struggle when I was growing up. I watched her raise 6 girls all on her own. One of which, my older sister, was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in her early teens. So there was my mom - 6 girls, an $800 a month salary, and no one to help. We didn't qualify for much fed aid b/c my mom work for the state at NC School for the Deaf and was considered "above the poverty level". HA!

Anyway, it was this experience that gave my drive in life. I also think that our experiences are what make us good teachers. We have been through hard times so we have understanding and compassion for those who are still in the struggle.

Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:43 pm
All-star
All-star

After hearing your stories I feel very fortunate to be the next generation after my parent's struggles. My dad refused to have me work during high school or during the college terms, so that I could put every effort into studying and enjoying being in the band. Both my parents worked their way through school and our family struggled financially so that the three kids could go through college debt free. My dad told me that I was to do the same for my children. We started an account when each child was born and they are now college age and I have passed this to the next generation like my dad asked me to do.

What I remember the most during my summer jobs at McDonald's is the lack of ambition or motivation from my fellow employees that were there permanently. They were content with what they were doing while I was looking for a different future. I felt so different than them and I think that came from having a dad that told me when I was little that I would go to college. In the book she mentioned that the maids weren't jealous of the rich and seemed content. I saw that too.

Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks so much for your personal stories. I, too, think it is experiences like yours that help to make for compassionate teachers. I hope we can talk more about this tomorrow.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Cathy, I see much of myself in your comments. I too, did not work in high scool and college, partly because I believe my folks thought that as scattered as I tend to be, it would not be a good thing! I also appreciate the comments made by Amanda and Regina and their willingness to let us know about their own lives. I am not complaining about our pay as a teacher, either. With so many places down-sizing or closing completely, there is nothing to complain about. I feel that my job was literally handed to me late last July. I had thought about going back to work, and had looked into it, but didn't think I was going to get a job for this school year when this position was put in my lap! I am extremely blessed!

Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]