View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Nickel and Dimed 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In reading the first chapter about being a waitress, I was struck by a footnote on page 35. It could be paraphrased to read "management by stress" in which teachers and students are being squeezed to extract maximimum productivity, to the detriment of their health. Teaching kindergarten, I'm not seeing the stress on the kids, just me. But to hear you guys talk about how the kids cry and stress over the EOGS - what are we doing??? On another note, my younger daughter waited tables at a resturarant on the lake this past summer and the conditions are very similar to those in the book. Of course for her living at home, the money was actually pretty good. But no sitting or eating, the managers were "monitors". During down times, she would try to look busy so she wouldn't have to clean bathrooms, etc. Another unfair practice was if a table walked out, she would have to pay their tab!

Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:24 pm
All-star
All-star

Erica, I teach Kindergarten too and feel the pressure as we are responsible for getting them to certain proficiency levels on testing. Certainly the upper grades feel immense pressure. To some degree I feel that pressure too, because I feel that if I do a good job than the kids will perform in the next grade. I feel that it all begins in Kindergarten and we need to do all we can to make those kids successful. In reagards to the article, I feel that businesses are taking a risk for putting their employees at risk by "managing by stress". We all make mistakes under the best of circumstances, I cannot imagine if undue stress was in the equation as well. I feel that most workers would make try to do their best but mistakes would take place as well at their expense.

Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]