View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Dewey-Darwinism Article-Totally Confused 
All-star
All-star

I need help. I feel like a goof ball. I had trouble understanding the articles. In the Dewey article, is he saying that we should teach the children sewing, weaving, and home economic type things and not how to become doctors or lawyers?
The Darwinism article- Lord knows what that meant!! I tried to remember learning about "Origin of Species". I remember "survival of the fittest" but is he talking about how the world came to be-Big Bang Theory or God?
HELP! HELP! HELP!! :cry:

Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Parts of the article really confused me, too. Yes, I think Dewey believed schools should prepare students for pratical duties of later life, but I think he also realized the importance of "hands on" vs. soley book studies. I was hoping to read more about religion vs. the Big Bang. but I guess we will have to wait and discuss that in class.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I felt like the purpose of the Darwin article was to remind me just how little I know outside my little comfortable circle. I was truly lost.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was also confused Dana. When I saw that it had Darwin's name on it I too remembered survival of the fittest and that he believed in evolution. I will be looking forward to the discussion of this article in class tonight to find out just what he was saying.

Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:55 pm
All-star
All-star

i think the first article by dewey was saying that the connection between meaningful studies and the students is lost if all we do is have them memorize information. he said previously work was an integral part of the family and each member understood and knew what his or her contribution was. and that education should also be like that. hands on experiences are retained and integrated into the child's life more than meaningless book work.
i also understood him to say discipline was less of a problem in a classroom where work is interesting and of use to a child .
initially it may appear more chaotic but the reality is each person is more deeply engaged. i think this is really true with high school students today.
the meaningless crap they are asked to memorize and spit out creates a restlessness and dissatisfaction.
the importance of this article is that dewey saw, over a hundred years ago,
issues which are still relevant to school today. his progressive ideas identify him with the group of people/reformers/educators/philosophers that believe social change for the greater good of society can be brought about thru education.
does this help any? it is only my take on it but, it made sense to me.

Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks everybody for your help. I feel so much better about the article after the class discussion. I'm not 100% on it, but I do feel better. :o

Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Very well said Airlie. Your explanation was helpful to me also. Can you explain the second article?

Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks Airlie. That was helpful. When I left class I was still somewhat confused. This dicouraged me because usually after class I have a better understanding. I am still unsure of the 2nd article. Can anyone help?

Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:26 am
All-star
All-star

once again this is just my take on it but if it helps here goes.
darwin was known to most of us because of his theory of evolution which upset the conservative religious community. dewey says that the storms around darwin were really not about religion.
darwin's big contribution to the world of science and education was that he realized that knowledge is not finite. there is not a pile of stuff you learn and then you are finished. ( people thought that pretty much up to this point and therefore people had to memorize tons of "booK' knowledge in school. no hands on experimentation just memorization).

darwin merely said life changes. knowledge changes and where you are in the world and the circumstances you are in determine alot of what is going to happen.( for example a country with less food will have weaker, smaller people etc.)

people were furious about this shift. it meant that when you teach science or mathematics or anything else you have to teach how to think not just a list of facts. so not only WHAT you teach changes but HOW you must teach it changes. this is where dewey hops in and says, YES! we must educate people to be critical examiners and good thinkers and if we do society will benefit. ( the progressive theory again).

p.s. darwin hated tradtional school and dropped out of high school, college and medical school. his parents thought he was a loser. pretty funny that he ended up one of the pivotal figures of science in the last two centuries.

is this any help?

Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:52 am
All-star
All-star

Thank you! That was helpful. I'm so glad this weeks reading is more enjoyable and eaiser to understand. Have a good weekend. See you next week. :)

Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]