View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Haves vs. Have Nots 
All-star
All-star

As we focus on war, politics, money, oil and allies I can't help but ask - Couldn't all of this media, money, time and energy be better spent? Maybe not all, but at least some of it directed to improving the human condition. I know, I know. We can't save the world but couldn't we at least start with the millions of people who struggle in the US?

I think the problem is the growing chasm between those who have and those who have not. On pg. 172 of Nickel the secretary of HUD speaks of this great divide as a "cruel irony'. There seems to be no place, no voice, and no real concern for the plight of the poor in the political decisions that impact so many areas of our lives. It's sad that so many Americans who labor everyday to help sustain the economic growth and prosperity of this county are the very ones who themselves economically suffer the most, with little or no hope of attaining prosperity.

It was frightening to read and even more terrifying to believe that "The rich and the poor, who are generally thought to live in a state of harmonious interdependence - the one providing cheap labor, the other providing low-wage jobs - can no longer coexist." What will become of us if we DON'T find a way to coexist? A way to bridge the immense separation between the rich and the poor in our country?

Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:23 pm
All-star
All-star

i totally understand your questions and frustration. we have enough money to drop million dollar bombs, but no money for housing for the poor. we have money to mobilize thousands of people quickly, to be sent across the globe, but we can't raise minimum wage or decent buildings for people to live in over years of history of indecent shelter for the poor.

we are afraid of the terrorist attacking us but we don't fear our own government who creates a hideous caste system that favors the rich and scalps the poor.

it is insanity.
airlie

Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:01 pm
All-star
All-star

This Sunday was "Youth Sunday" at our church. They did a wonderful job but one thing concerned me. They are going to begin collecting quarters to take with them to the ELCA National Youth Gathering in Atlanta this summer. The quarters are going to go towards helping the hungry in "Africa and other places around the world." I think that is a wonderful idea to help others but I couldn't stop myself from thinking "What about right here in America?"

Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, we need to be helping our own. I read an article in the Charlotte Observer "The myth of class mobility" and it stated some economists had reported on the "fate of a racially diverse group of children.....from 1970 to 1992. Dividing the kids by famiy income into 5 segments, they found that of the children constituting the poorest 20% of the sample, 6 in 10 stayed in the bottom income bracket after 10 years,and 9 in 10 statyed in the bottom two income brackets." The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel we will always need people to do the lowest of jobs, but you can't keep raising the minimum wage. The employer will just raise his costs and pass these on to the consumer and then the raise in the minimum wage will not do any good. They still won't be able to afford anything. I think the book brought up a good point about affordable housing. If there will always have to be people working the lowest of jobs, then our society needs to give them affordable housing. The book also brought out the fact that if you work during the day, you can not get to the shelters or churches for free food. They usually serve during lunch time. This is something that should be considered. Another thing. Don't feel too sorry for all waitresses. If they work in a nice restaurant, they make more money than we do. My daughter's friend works at Outback and she brings home over $100 dollars a night. It depends on where they work.

Last edited by Cathy on Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]