View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 NICKEL & DIMED--a literary comment, some research... 
All-star
All-star

Forget the shock on our middle-class sentimentalities due to the fact that working hard doesn't equal success in America(as we have been made to believe) for a second and look at the book from a writer's stance. She is really a smart and funny writer. There aren't many books written the way she writes. I was impressed the entire time I was reading it. To be able to use humor to shine light on social problems is a gift.

By searching the internet, I found this link that is relative to the Wal-Mart subject matter. It shows the problems they are having, such as being kicked off the Fortune's list of Top 100 Companies to Work For.
http://www.walmartyrs.org/

And if you want to read some of her interviews, here is a very good link for many many interviews. You may even change your mind about her character... I don't agree with her religious beliefs but as far as being a good person and trying to make a difference, she is...
http://www.ips-dc.org/nickelanddimed/links.htm

Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:50 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Amanda, I think Barbara is a gifted writer too. Although I didn't agree with some of the content, the delivery was very well written.

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. Here's link to a CNN story on homeless shelters in NY. I thought it underscores some of the issues we have been discussing in class.
http://cnn.law.savethis.clickability.co ... =K61229941

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Amanda, I have enjoyed reading the book as well. Some of the content as Regina mentioned was unexpected and not liked but the book itself and the author kept my interest. It read like an interesting novel, not more or less a documentary. She did use humor to illustrate what is going on with herself and the others around her. I also agree that she seems to be a good person. She did take breaks and she did seem to ditch the scene when things got tough, but she gave her tips away, her living, to the cook. She saved her place of living and convinced the landlord to transfer the deposit to a coworker when she left, etc. I think all in all a good person without religious morals is what she would be defined as.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]