View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 American Dream??? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What strikes me about this book is the lack of encouragement. The workers are locked in, no one encouraging advancement. What has happened to the so called American Dream where you could start out in the mailroom and end up owning the company. Was it just a myth?

Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:58 pm
All-star
All-star

It was very sad. Those people were so sad and depressed. It broke my heart to read about their problems. Of course, everyone has problems, but they had a multitude of problems. I was somewhat depressed when reading this. WELL, let's face it. I was angry, sad, happy, etc...

DANA

Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am amazed that the people in this book continued to go back to the same job day after day. The back breaking physical labor as well as the lack of nourishment would deter many people. I felt so sad while reading this book. It makes me really value what I have. Michelle

Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:34 pm

The cycle of poverty is so hard to break out of. Living paycheck to paycheck can ruin you, just imagine if you had children. That is who my heart goes out to. Every once in awhile (not as often as I should) I ride the afternoon bus route. Especially on the more difficult to manage bus routes. There are children living in homes without windows, in filth, and without supervision. And on and on, but my point. I chose to break away from my family when I was younger.(DUMB, but boy did he promise the world) After several years of no electric, no heat, moving due to financial troubles, and etc.. I chose to turn around and was able to due to two, no three things. A job, SS, and my family. I always worked, but as a waitress, but one day went down to Social Services and asked what I could do to get an education. I worked 6 hours a day, went to school, and raised my daughter. When my family saw I was really trying, they pitched in with a car, babysitting, and general support and love. Social Services paid for health care and school. My job paid for rent, food, etc. Great you say right!!!! Not really. SS payed for only associate level education. Hence another $7-8 hour job market. :cry: So to hell with it I say and $25,000 loans later, I've made it!!!! If we could just figure out a way to really help the poor, oh yeah that's what an education is supposed to do, equal opportunity to succeed. (Savage Inequalities) Now new Welfare reform has totally crushed the opportunity for the poor to advance. So sad because the children suffer the most. Goodnight guys

Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]