View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nickel and Dimed-Making it on minimum wage 
All-star
All-star

I remember when I was in college working at a Hallmark store making minimum wage (at that time $4.25 an hour). Even though I lived at home while attending college, my parents paid tution and car payment, but I was responsible for the taking care of my car, buying books for class, gas and any other personal expenses. I worked as many hours as I could to still be considered part-time while in college. If I had to have made car payments, rent, utilities, plus all the other expenses I've already said I was responsible for, I would probably have been homeless or would have had to drop-out of college to get a full time job. Barb seemed at times to take the easy way out when things got tough. A lot of Americans don't have that option. I couldn't do that when I was trying to attend college. I could have looked for a higher paying job, but Hallmark was willing to work with my school schedule and I couldn't give up that convenience. I do find myself straightening up cards when I go into a card store. Even though you still get minimum wage, it is a lot of hard work especially during holidays. I guess I remember how it was and like to help out.

Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:01 am
All-star
All-star

Kim, yes, I think Barb took the easy way out at times, also. She KNEW that she had other financial resources AND other people that could help her out if she needed it. Sometimes I think that people that have extremely low-paying jobs don't really have a good support system behind them, either. They may not have "significant others" or family members that can help them put things in perspective or be a rock for them.

Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:25 am
All-star
All-star

Not to mention the fact that for Barb she knew it was a short term research project, not her entire future. When you only know one way of life and do not know of a way out your mind set changes. We as teachers are extremely fortunate. We come to a career that we love each day. We get to interact with real people who are excited about school, or so we hope, and we get to see how our actions influence others. We also have a job that is forever changing. There is no chance of boredom because everyday something new arises. Not to mention if you do have a miserable year, it ends in May or June. Then in August you get a fresh start. I can't imagine going to a job where you do the same thing everyday for years and years, I would go stir crazy!

Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also find it quite disturbing that Barb took the easy way out any time the going got tough. Unfortunately life in the real world is not like that. People can't escape from their problems, but must find a way to get through them. Barb was lucky to be able to rely on her "real life" to get through the tough times. Michelle

Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]