View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Role of public education 
All-star
All-star

This was in the Charlotte Observer Sunday. "The current education system was designed to accompolish three essential tasks: to provide universal basic literacy, to socialize a diverse population to the demands of a factory system, and to identify and sort out the top fifth of students who would go on to college. The rest easily found jobs in a manufacturing economy that required little in the way of high skills or advanced education, but paid middle-class sustaining wages. With the 21st century economy requiring that students graduate able to use technology, solve problems, and learn on their own throughout their lives, leaders have called on schools to accomplish a task far more demanding than ever before: Educate all the children-not merely the top one-fifth-and educate them to unprecedentedly high levels."

I thought this might help us answer the question about the role of education and also bring up the discussion: Will this new goal in education help get rid of poor jobs that cause poverty?

Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading a local newspaper, The Lincoln-Times News, today. The superintendent for Lincoln County Schools had written an article which states exactly the same ideas. He was stating that children need to be prepared for jobs other than industrial and manufacturing. He also talked about the technological requirements that students need to meet in order to compete in today's world. He used these statements to stress the need for more school funding. I hope parents and county residents read his comments and work to provide adequate funding for all students in Lincoln County. Michelle

Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:41 pm
All-star
All-star

That was great information. After reading both your post I thought about the number of drop outs that occur in our school system. Fortunately, a number of efforts are being made to reach out to these kids and refer them to programs that can hopefully assist in giving them direction. I agree with the fact that the current system is going to have to change. Student's (High School) are faced with the pressure of test and competing with the top five percent, I believe that drop out because the just can't measure up.

Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]