View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Nickel and Dimed--PART 2 
All-star
All-star

I found Barb's comment of page 187 quite interesting. When she said,"What you don't necessarily realize when you start selling your time by the hour you're actually selling your life". Often times I spend
12 hours at school in one day. On those days I begin to think the same
thing! Teaching is a job I truely love , but it should not become your LIFE! I'm sure you have felt the same way!

Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Collette, that is a profound statement. I guess that's when your life becomes your work.

Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:41 pm
All-star
All-star

colette, When I began teaching I too found myself spending a lot of hours at school. I have a friend who stays until almost 8:00 every night! I think it does become you life. I have children and couldn't possibly stay that late. I love my job and will do what it takes to make sure that the children in my room are getting the best education I can provide. I think we all strive to do that.

Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

During my first year as a kindergarten teacher I would stay at school late and then even take some work home. I want the best for my kids as Diane had mentioned and I have things in order for them each day, but I no longer take it home with me unless I have something special that we are working on. I try to get everything in order for the next couple of days and then I try to leave it at school. Kind of a washing off the day ritual as Phyllis mentioned about her housecleaning job. For the people working these sorts of low-income jobs, it does seem to encompass their lives because everything revolves around how much money they make and how far it will go in a week's time. They can't seem to get away from their low wage earning life, so to speak. It is always there. Being without children, for the moment, I do not have all of the extra exspense as many others in our class, so I can do other things with that income besides pay for food, housing/rent, laundromat, etc. like Barb and the other worker's had to do. I do not always feel that I am identified by just my job,
but other things I do as well, that the people in Nickle and Dimed do not have the luxury of. I am very thankful of the career that I have and for its stability.[[/i]

Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I do see teaching as my life. I was one of those teachers that stayed until 6:00. Now that we aren't allowed to put anything on our walls anymore, I can leave much earlier. (fire marshall) It's also easier now that I've taught so long. My kids are grown and I am so thankful, I am doing what I love. I listen to my friends talk about hating their jobs and they have good paying jobs. If you chose teaching because it is your passion, then it will be more than a job. It will be who you are. Your children will grow up and not need you anymore, but your students will. The children we teach give us so much love, and other people will never get that in a job. I am very lucky to be doing what I love and getting paid for it.

Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]