View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 "Nickel and Dimed" A Matter of Choice 
All-star
All-star

For me, Nickel and Dimed is the kind of book once I started , I couldn't stop until I finished . I have to give Ehrenreich credit for having the courage to experience various living and working conditions and bringing it to the public, however, I don't believe she could possibly know, truly, what it is like to actually live and work under some of those conditions.

After I finished the book I reflected upon a time probably 20 years ago when I had an experience of working in a local motel cleaning rooms. I had a college degree but, I was in a desperate situation where I had to take what was available at the time. I had a second child on the way and a struggling marriage. "A girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do".

I took pride in the fact that after my training I could clean 18 rooms in a days work. Barbara was correct in the cleaning system. In cleaning a room we were directed to remove all public hairs were ever they were likely to be found, polish the fixtures and give the room a good spray of disinfectant and you're well on your way to the next room. I might add don't trust in the fact the spreads or comforters are freshly laundered on a daily basis, need I say any more.

Any way, I remember looking at my first paycheck about 70.OO or so and I wondered, how in the world I'm I going to make it. I did.

I made a choice, I imagine like many other's out there, with determination to take the bull by the horns and strive daily to make a better life. Yes, we all have a choice, but in making those choices one would have to ask themselves, is this where I find contentment?

I could have put my education behind and remained in that situation. I chose to go against the odds because I was less than content, to make a better life for myself and my children.

I believe ther are some folks out their that are just determined enough to take a few risk, and die trying.

Last edited by phyllis on Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:21 am
All-star
All-star

Thank you Phyllis for sharing what you did. You are a person of great strength and character. I don't know that if I were in the same situation, I could have pulled myself up by the bootstraps enough to get going. I admire you.

Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:08 am
All-star
All-star

GOOD FOR YOU, PHYLLIS!! I must say, however, that I am deeply, deeply repulsed by the cleaning of the hotel rooms. I really used to enjoy going away and staying in hotels. Now, I'll have to pack my cleaning supplies, flip flops (for the shower), and my own linens. GROSS, GROSS, GROSS!!

DANA :x :x :x

Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Dana, you gave me a good chuckle. That was about twenty years ago. I sure hope things have changed. But, I think I'm going to carry my supplies and flip flops as well, we can't be too careful.
:lol:

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:17 pm
All-star
All-star

As a result of reading Nickel I paid extra attention to the housekeeping during my stay at the Sheraton (a supposedly higher quality establishment). Phyllis's account of housekeeping still holds true! The extent of the "cleaning" consisted of a can of disinfectant spray, a dingy grayish cloth, and a bowl/sink brush. Yep - the toilet bowl and the sink were cleaned with the same brush!

But you know what? I can't say I blame them. The Sheraton in G'boro is huge! And because it's ACC tournament season the place was packed. The hotel obviously decided to cash in b/c as the teacher's group I was with was checking out, several groups of high school band students were checking in. There is NO WAY that the housekeepers had time to clean the rooms. A teacher would check out and two or three people later the receptionist would check someone into the very same room.

I tried hard to be a considerate guest. I cleaned up after myself, emptied the trash, etc. BUT the stay STILL made my skin crawl!

Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]