View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nicke and Dimed in a "Civilized Nation" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Although I really disliked the author of this book, there was some good information and some interesting quotes, especially towards the end. On page 214, I especially liked the comment ...Most civilized nations compensate for the inadequacy of wages by providing relatively generous public services such as health insurance, free or subsidized child care, subsidized housing, and effective public transportation. But the United States, for all its wealth, leaves its citizens to fend for themselves.

I've always struggled as an adult in the USA to understand why the Europeans are so much better at taking care of their citizens than we do in our country. I realize the Europeans pay high taxes to compensate for being taken care of, especially as they get older, but we pay high taxes and and our government doesn't seem to care what happens to the elderly. Something's wrong with the richest nation in the world when people have to decide between taking necessary medications or eating properly.

Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree. The U.S. government and financial leaders can find billions of dollars to spend on war or in other countries. However when it comes to the needs of its own people the U.S. has millions of people living in poverty, but can't afford to find a way to help them. Thank goodness we have churches and other organizations that are able to help some people. It's really sad that in the richest nation in the world only a minority of the people are rich, while the majority are wondering where they will find food to feed their family. Michelle

Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Well put! I am disturbed by this as well! Not only does our government seem to want to shut their eyes to the elderly that we have in our country, but many times the children of these "older treasures" want to forget that they exist. In this I am not only talking about financial support, but emotional and physical support. I go with my church and through my school to some area retirement homes and the people there are always SO appreciative of any time spent there. I think that many of these people would say that they would forgo having "things" in exchange for some time with their own families or an "adopted" one.

Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:02 am
All-star
All-star

You said it, ladies! I have never understood why the U.S. is on the money in taking care of other worldly problems, but has a blind eye to what is happening right under their noses. You see on t.v. all of these commercials about other countries and how their children don't have enough to eat and that we need to send them donations. Now, please don't get me wrong. I think it is TERRIBLE for anyone of any race or nation to go hungry, but I think our gov't and media need to wise up and see that we have EXTREME cases of poverty and hunger in this wealthy wonderful country. :cry: For some reason, however, it is not the hot topic on the news.

DANA

Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]