View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Drug Testing 

Is drug testing for employment purposes unreasonable?
yes 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
no 92%  92%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 12

Drug Testing 
All-star
All-star

In the Evaluation section of Nickle and Dimed, Barb mentions drug testing as another routine indignity. I certainly wouldn't want someone watching me pee in a cup, but I have taken a drug test before and I didn't feel offended. Upon being hired as a teacher in Charlotte Mecklenburg I had to pass a drug test, like all other new employees. I wonder why people feel this is so unfair. I personally feel that as long as the procedure to collect the specimen is not degrading, that it is a perfectly acceptable practice. I certainly wouldn't want a drug user teaching my child. I know that just because someone passes a drug test doesn't guarantee they don't use drugs, but it sure does discourage a lot. What does everyone think?

Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:31 pm
All-star
All-star

Sherrie,

I don't think a drug test is unreasonable. I too took one when I was hired to teach in Caldwell County Schools and when I worked for AT&T before that. I must say, the first one at AT&T kind of freaked me out...I was a country boy moving to the BIG city, but now can see that is wasn't an insult or a specific concern for me, but a standard procdure.

I also agree that I wouldn't want a drug user teaching my child (if I had one), and I certainly wouldn't want one performing any kind of surgery or medical services on me while "under the influence".

Randy 8)

Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I think I messed up...I meant to say no, it is not unreasonable...but I think I was thinking "is it reasonable" and voted yes.

sorry.

Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:28 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I agree. I don't think drug testing is unreasonable. When I was hired for Catawba County, we had to do a drug test and fingerprinting. If I were a parent it certainly would make me feel more comfortable about the person driving my child's bus and the person teaching them.

Kim

Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:52 am
All-star
All-star

I wonder why they only test new employees. If you were already working before they started testing, you were not tested. I guess they figure you haven't caused any trouble yet, so you must be OK.

Last edited by Cathy on Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:14 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I don't think that it's unreasonable to have drug tests. I agree with you Cathy, I think that it would be a good idea to have some random drug testing done, as they do for the bus drivers. I am glad that they do this with the drivers, since they hold so many childrens' lives in their hands, but why just test them? I think all employees should be randomly tested.

Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think it is unreasonable either. I have had several drug tests before. How reliable are they? Barb had used drugs, but nothing showed up. Do the detox kits like she bought really work? If so, the tests are not doing what they are supposed to do. Am I understanding correctly that some of you have had drug tests where you had to go with someone watching you? I don't know if I could do that. It is hard enough to do when no one is watching. :oops:

Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think drug testing is unreasonable, but I wouldn't want someone watching me. I have a friend whose daughter's job involves working with drug testing. She has to "watch" people provide a specimen and safely deliver the specimen for drug testing.
Cindy

Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone that drug testing is not unreasonable. I was put through it as well when teaching for Gaston County. I did not find it offensive but relieved that they wouldn't let just anyone in the school system. As I was skimming through everyone's answers I noticed that someone mentioned random drug testing after people were hired. As Barb was saying the book, it wasn't uncommon for someone else to use their pee sample to represent another just so they wouldn't get caught with it in their system. I agree that random drug testing isn't a bad idea as well. And as far as watching someone actually take the test (pee in a cup), this would eliminate what Barb was describing. I wouldn't object to it so long as it was the same sex person.

Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:15 pm
All-star
All-star

No, I don't think it is unreasonable. I agree that I think it is a necessity. Who WOULD want their child to be taught by someone on drugs? There's talk of using drug testing in the schools on children. I'm kind of worried about that. I'm not sure that would work.

DANA

Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]