View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Video-First Murder 
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed the video tonight. I will admit, were I flipping the channels at home, I would not have paused one minute. But, I found it very interesting. It was amazing to me all of the different views and insights they presented on one story. I never really thought about it that deeply. In my Sunday school classes as a child, we basically discussed that murdering someone was wrong and not doing what the Lord wanted was bad. We did not get into the deeper issues presented in the video. It certainly opened my eyes. It made me realize that I need to delve a little deeper into areas-question and analyze more. I have a feeling I will be great at analyzing, justifying, evaluting, etc... by the end of this term.

DANA :lol:

Last edited by Danielle Avery on Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree, although I normally wouldn't find myself watching such a show, I found the dicussion very interesting. The debate of whether Cain was punished or protected. I guess I haven't spent a lot of time looking at things from various angles. This class is making me look at things in a different way and by the end of the course I think I will be much better at analysing.

Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:46 am
All-star
All-star

I feel the same way! As usual, while the authors were talking, I thought to myself, "I agree with what you are saying", UNTIL the next author spoke, and I found myself agreeing with what THEY were saying! I tend to look at things from too many sides! :roll:

Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought the video presented many interesting points of view. I had never thought of the debate of whether Cain was punished or protected. When I learned the story of Cain and Abel as a child, I just accepted what I learned from my teachers without questioning.

I am learning to analyze and question things in the books and articles we have been reading in class. I don't know if I will be better at analyzing at the end of the course, but I am trying. :idea: :) :idea:

I feel like I had a ton of extra practice during the past week.

Cindy

Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too found the video interesting. I did not grow up attending church at all. So most of what I heard was knew to me. I am trying to make the connection between the video and Gayle's reference to Barbara (Nicle & Dimed) Are we our brothers keeper? The compassionate side of me says YES. We need to help everyone and keep the playing field as even as possible. But the competive side of me says, no. My life is hard enough without taking on responsibilities of others.
I don't know, any ideas out there?

Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you, the video was very interesting. If this first murder was foundational, our society certainly reflects such injustice. I'll think about it further and share other thoughts.

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:28 pm
All-star
All-star

After these two courses you will all be ready for National Boards. You will all be experts at analyzing and that's a big part of the write-ups for NBs.

Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I had always wondered why God rejected Cane's gift until I saw this video and they told that the gift he offered was from the ground. I was talking about this after class. It was said that it was fruit that had fallen from the tree and was on the ground, not fruit that was still on the tree. So that is why God did not accept the gift from Cane because it was not the best of his crop and not complete, unselfish giving from the heart. Is that what everyone else understood?

Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]