View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Envy??? 
All-star
All-star

I was surprised at the response Barb received when she asked another maid how she felt about the owners of the houses they cleaned who had so much while others barely got by. I didn't expect the maid to say, "I don't mind, really, because I guess I'm a simple person, and I don't want what they have. I mean it's nothing to me." To me it's hard understand that the workers wouldn't have ambitions to get ahead and therefore envy the rich owners.
In the video discussion, I was surprised when Charles Johnson seemed to be saying, "Who are you going to envy?" and the response was, "Someone like you." I guess this surprised me, because I often hear people say, "I wish I had this or that like someone who seems to have more or be more successful."
Of course, this is just my analysis.
Cindy

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I understand what you mean, Cindy. I was surprised by that comment in the video, as well. In trying to think back, though, of the times that I have been envious of other people, I find that I haven't been that jealous of people that have MUCH more than me; it is people that are more like me, and the thoughts were more like "why do they have that particular thing and I don't"; "how come they've lost more weight than I have when we're eating the same way"...stuff like that.

Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:46 am
All-star
All-star

I agree Kathy. I hadn't thought about that before. I am more envious of the people that are more like me. The lives of movie stars don't even interest me because they are so beyond my life. I guess that's how the cleaning people thought.

Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I agree, too. I had never thought of it that way either, but what he said is very true. Like Cathy said, the lives of movie stars are so excessive and far removed from us. I don't envy them because I know that they have money beyond what I could even imagine. But I do see now that the people I am likely to envy are my peers, people who have similar lives and incomes comparable to mine. I see it everyday at my school there are certain teachers that every parent wants their child to have and that causes envy and questioning yourself about what they are doing so differently or better, in my neighborhood there is a big competition for the best yard, etc.

Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I mentioned in class last week that my sister used to use the Merry Maids in Raleigh. Val, the woman who cleans for my sister now is an ex-Merry Maid. she quit because she could not get ahead at all working for them. My sister was telling me that Val comes from an unbelievable disadvantaged background, but is trying so hard to break the cycle of poverty that she grew up in. Val has three children who are learning from their mom the value of education. I greatly admire this woman although I have never met her. Our society could use more people like her.

Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]