View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Property Tax Discussion 
All-star
All-star

I am glad that we had the discussion about property tax. I feel that I understand it a little better than I did before. A question that I asked Dr. Turner during break was "How does a county determine the property tax rate?" For example: Watauga County's tax rate is .37---how is that determined? Dr. Turner didn't have the answer available last night, but if anyone knows please share. I am just curious how that is decided.

Dr. Turner, if you read this maybe you could locate an answer for me. (I will give you time to finish grading the thesis and mid-terms first.)

Note: When I asked Dr. T. this question she said that it was not important for us to know to answer a test question--I am just curious.

Kim

Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought our discussion was informative. It helped me better understand property tax rates.
It seems like my county is re-evaluating property every time you turn around and inflating the value of it.
Just some interesting information.
My husband and I own two pieces of property, which are two miles apart. Even though both pieces are in the same county, the tax rate is different because the pieces are in different fire districts.

Cindy

Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:58 pm
All-star
All-star

The discussion helped me, too. I understand a little more now how population, the actual value of property, and the demand to live in an area all work collectively to impact the revenue an area recieves from property taxex.

STILL - I'd rather not have to try to work my way through it again on another exam :?

Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Kim, My husband and I were having the discussion of property taxes right after our class. I do feel that I have a better understanding of it too, but I did wonder where did they get that number for each county. We thought that it might possibly be due to the number of services that each county offered to the inhabitants. Perhaps so much of the money is designated for the each available service. Those counties that do not have as many services available would designate more money for fewer services (rural, for example would not have trash pick-up). That was our thinking.

Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm really glad we had the property tax discussion last week. It helped me to better understand. I own a small house similar to the one Dr. Turner was using as her example. Although my property taxes continue to go up, I'm thrilled that the value of my house is rising.

Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was not at class that night, and missed the discussion. I did not do well on that question of the mid term. Would someone be nice enough to summarize the discussion you had. Any insight into this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :lol:

Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]