View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ishamel 
All-star
All-star

Have you all finished Ishamel?? I haven't. I can't get through it! Saying I hate it really doesn't convey how strongly I feel about the book. I've been trying - since JANUARY - to get through it but I can't.

PLEASE somebody help me!@!! How did you get through the book? I'd honestly prefer not to. Hummm . . . I wonder if Dr. Turner would buy that?

Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:37 pm
All-star
All-star

Regina, I have started over on Ishmael three times! This last time that I started it was on Wednesday before class and I happened to read the part that I made a thread about. I keep starting over because I am afraid that I am not understanding it, or that I am missing some important points. Maybe I ought not to analyze it so much...I think that i am having the same problems you are!

Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:46 pm
All-star
All-star

This sounds really dumb, but try making a brief summary after each section. I keep sticky notes by me when I read. After each section within a chapter I write down the key points. Then when I finish with the chapter I reread the notes for each section and write one BRIEF summary of the entire chapter. I don't write a lot, just enough for me to recall a few important points from each chapter. This also helps when looking back over chapters you've already read because you can read the sticky notes. Alright it sounds weird, but it works. It really doesn't take long because each section is so short. Try it!

Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just started reading, so I am not that far into it yet, but I hate to say it, I kinda like it. It beats Dewey and the Big Test! Plus I really enjoy fiction of this sort. Now can I relate it to other readings, this class or "school stuff". no :? So if anyone has insight into a "theme" between a talking gorilla and school, let me know. Untill then I will keep on reading.

Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that Ishamel did take a long time to read. I did however prefer
the short chapters. It really helped me in summarizing. I liked parts of the
book! Unfortunately, I found it very hard to follow. I hope I understood
as much as I was supposed to learn. I must say that I did not like the
ending. I really wanted Ishamel to live and the discussions to continue
with a happy ending.
I hope everyone doesn't think I'm too crazy for enjoying SOME parts
of the book.

Colette

Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I finished Ishmael, and put notes on the sides of the pages to help me remember my point of view of what was written in the book. Sherrie's idea of summarizing the chapters was a good one!

Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completed Ishmael last Tuesday because, ooops!, I read the syllabus wrong. Anyway, I found this book to be one of the easiest to read. That doesn't mean, however, that I have understood everything about it, but I tried not to analyze it so much and just read, as I think Regina was saying. The short sections helped me get through it and it held my interest so that I finished it quickly. I tried to read two chapters a night, or more if I wanted to, but at least two. That way I knew I would finish it in a week. I found that setting a goal helped me to reach it more easily that not. Good luck and I hope that helped! :)

Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I have many notes throughout my book. I also put page numbers with brief notes on the first few empty pages of my books so I can quickly find the pages I need when I am looking for a particular topic.

Cindy

Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm so glad so many of you take notes as you read. I tried taking notes in the beginning with The Big Test but gave up. (I do most of my reading at night in the bathtub :roll: Anyway, now I know who to chat with when the final rolls around. I drove myself crazy trying to locate specific information in the books for the midterm.

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]